New Delhi: Drinking sugar-sweetened sodas and beverages – by either partner – may affect chances of conception, a study has warned.
The findings showed both female and male intake of sugar-sweetened beverages was associated with 20 percent reduced fecundability – the average monthly probability of conception.
Females who consumed at least one soda per day had 25 percent lower fecundability, while male consumption was associated with 33 percent lower fecundability.
“We found positive associations between intake of sugar-sweetened beverages and lower fertility, which was consistent after controlling for many other factors, including obesity, caffeine intake, alcohol, smoking, and overall diet quality,” said lead author Elizabeth Hatch, Professor at the Boston University School of Public Health (BUSPH)
“Couples planning a pregnancy might consider limiting their consumption of these beverages, especially because they are also related to other adverse health effects,” Hatch said, in a paper published in the journal Epidemiology.
Intake of energy drinks was related to even larger reductions in fertility, although the results were based on small numbers of consumers.
Little association was found between intake of fruit juice or diet soda and fertility.
Previous studies have associated such drinks with obesity, Type 2 diabetes, early menstruation, and poor semen quality among other health issues, but the growing consumption of these drinks, especially among the youth, has triggered concerns.
For the new study, the team surveyed 3,828 women aged 21 to 45 living in the US or Canada and 1,045 of their male partners.zeenews
- ब्रेकफास्ट को इग्नोर करने से आपको भी हो सकता है इस बात का खतरा - April 19, 2019
- Hospital acquired infections (hai) can be fatal - April 19, 2019
- Endress+Hauser India eyes growth in domestic sales - April 18, 2019
- Over 2000 took benefit of free medical camp organised by ‘Ekata Manch’ - April 17, 2019
- Palliative Care: Where treatments & compassion go together - April 17, 2019
- L V Prasad Eye Institute’s second edition of Whitathon to create awareness on Retinoblastoma eye cancer - April 17, 2019
- World Hemophilia Day: Urgent need to establish dedicated Centres for Hemophilia - April 17, 2019
- Nizams grandchildren donate Medical Devices & Surgical items to Nizamia - April 17, 2019
- लोगों को खुशहाल और अच्छा महसूस कराती है मुस्कुराहटः Research - April 16, 2019
- Period अब समस्या नहीं, यह कंपनी देती है एक दिन की ‘पेड लीव’ - April 16, 2019