(HealthDay)—In a statement issued by the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, recommendations are presented for the treatment of Bell’s palsy after COVID-19 vaccination and for unvaccinated patients.
C. W. David Chang, M.D., from the AAO-HNS Patient Quality and Safety Improvement Committee, and colleagues developed recommendations to guide physicians on treatment of patients who develop Bell’s palsy shortly after COVID-19 vaccination and unvaccinated patients who develop Bell’s palsy during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The authors note that the overarching guidance remains timely access to and administration of vaccines against severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, which is considered vital to curbing the COVID-19 pandemic. Corticosteroid therapy and/or antiherpes viral therapy is recommended for patients who develop Bell’s palsy shortly after vaccination. Although the effect of corticosteroids on the safety and efficacy of the Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna vaccines is currently unknown, immunocompromising conditions and use of immunocompromising medications are not contraindications to vaccination. Corticosteroid therapy and/or antiherpes viral therapy is recommended in unvaccinated patients who develop Bell’s palsy. Patients may proceed with vaccination while being treated with corticosteroids for Bell’s palsy. The broad underlying differential diagnosis should be considered as in all cases of facial paralysis, as per clinical practice guideline recommendations.
“At this time, there is insufficient evidence to conclude the existence of a causal relationship between vaccination against COVID-19 and Bell’s palsy,” according to the press release. “The U.S. Food and Drug Administration will continue surveillance for cases of Bell’s palsy as vaccination efforts continue.”
First Canadian Bell palsy guideline
Copyright © 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
AAO-HNS issues guidance for Bell’s palsy treatment during COVID-19 (2021, February 5)
retrieved 6 February 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- अंतर्राष्ट्रीय महिला दिवस पर मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान द्वारा सौगातों की बौछार - March 8, 2021
- Neha Kakkar Was Sitting On These Two Beauty Mistakes, Had To Suffer Bruising, Now She Takes Care Of Skin - March 8, 2021
- COVID vaccines will not make you test positive for coronavirus, and other vaccine facts - March 8, 2021
- मुख्यमंत्री श्री शिवराज सिंह चौहान ने सपत्नीक दीदी कैफे में किया भोजन - March 8, 2021
- Shraddha Kapoor’s Skin Is Very Sensitive, It Works To Keep Clean And Fresh - March 8, 2021
- Cardiac arrest from opioid overdose has unique features affecting prevention and treatment - March 8, 2021
- आजादी के अमृत महोत्सव पर वीडियो कॉन्फ्रेंस सम्पन्न - March 8, 2021
- Janhvi Kapoor Beauty Tips: Janhvi Kapoor Follows These Beauty Tips, Mother Sridevi Gave These Important Lessons - March 8, 2021
- Stroke affecting the eye requires immediate treatment, can signal future vascular events - March 8, 2021
- महिला स्व-सहायता समूहों के उत्पाद किसी भी दृष्टि से कमतर नहीं : मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान - March 8, 2021