Six months since the new coronavirus outbreak, the pandemic is still far from over, the World Health Organization said Monday, warning that “the worst is yet to come”.
Reaching the half-year milestone just as the death toll surpassed 500,000 and the number of confirmed infections topped 10 million, the WHO said it was a moment to recommit to the fight to save lives.
“Six months ago, none of us could have imagined how our world—and our lives—would be thrown into turmoil by this new virus,” WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a virtual briefing.
“We all want this to be over. We all want to get on with our lives. But the hard reality is this is not even close to being over.
“Although many countries have made some progress, globally the pandemic is actually speeding up.
“We’re all in this together, and we’re all in this for the long haul.
“We will need even greater stores of resilience, patience, humility and generosity in the months ahead.
“We have already lost so much—but we cannot lose hope.”
Tedros also said that the pandemic had brought out the best and worst humanity, citing acts of kindness and solidarity, but also misinformation and the politicisation of the virus.
In an atmosphere of global political division and fractures on a national level, “the worst is yet to come. I’m sorry to say that,” he said.
“With this kind of environment and condition, we fear the worst.”
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
After six months, worst of pandemic ‘yet to come’: WHO (2020, June 29)
retrieved 29 June 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Zendesk Releases Report for Startups Showing the Path to Success is in CX - July 13, 2020
- देश में कोविड-19 के मामले साढ़े आठ लाख के करीब पहुंचे, मृतक संख्या 22,674 हुई - July 12, 2020
- India’s COVID tally climbs to 8,49,553 - July 12, 2020
- Monsoons need measures to avert serious ailments - July 11, 2020
- North America to Dominate Neurostimulation Devices Market - July 10, 2020
- YFLO Organized webinar on “Beauty Inside Out : the Ayurvedic Way” - July 10, 2020
- North America to Dominate Bio-Implants Market During Forecast Period - July 10, 2020
- ADIDAS AND MCDONALD’S LAUNCH THE “SAUCE PACK” - July 10, 2020
- Doctors View ‘Antiviral Agents’ As Effective Option for COVID-19 - July 9, 2020
- Mankind Pharma promotes ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ with new Anthem - July 9, 2020