Google-parent Alphabet said Thursday its profit climbed to $11.2 billion (roughly Rs. 83,300 crores) in the latest quarter, beating expectations, as ad spending rebounded after being hit by the pandemic.
Money made from cloud computing offerings and from its Google Play shop for smartphones powered by its Android software also helped fuel the 42 percent jump in revenue to $46.2 billion (roughly Rs. 3,44,802 crores) in the quarter, the company said.
“We had a strong quarter, consistent with the broader online environment,” said chief executive Sundar Pichai.
Alphabet has spent years evolving YouTube from its roots as a free video-sharing to an online television platform competing with titans such as Netflix and Amazon Prime.
“We expected Google’s ad revenues to recover across search, YouTube, and Network Members (in the quarter), and all three segments outperformed our expectations,” said analyst Nicole Perrin of eMarketer.
She said the gains were especially true of YouTube and pointed to ‘notable increases in political ad spending during the quarter.”
Google’s cloud computing business revenue grew nearly 50 percent to $3.4 billion (roughly Rs. 25,369 crores) as the pandemic boosted a trend toward working, playing, shopping and learning online.
Alphabet shares jumped more than 8 percent in after-hours trading before giving up some of the ground
- वंदे-मातरम गायन संपन्न - December 2, 2020
- Health Tips: Include These 5 Things In Diet In Winters, Many Diseases Will Stay Away - December 2, 2020
- US panel to decide who should get the first COVID-19 shots - December 2, 2020
- Need an IV or Stitches? Virtual Reality or Hypnosis Might Ease Pain - December 2, 2020
- भोपाल गैस त्रासदी की 36वीं बरसी पर होगी सर्वधर्म प्रार्थना सभा - December 2, 2020
- Dutch mask-wearing rule becomes law - December 2, 2020
- AHA News: Food Insecurity Rates High Among People With Heart Disease - December 2, 2020
- डिजिटल साक्षरता आज की जरूरत और ऐसी मानसिकता विकसित करना आवश्यक -श्रीमती सिंधिया - December 2, 2020
- Conversational assistants could be used to improve African American health around COVID-19 - December 2, 2020
- COVID-19 Can Damage Lungs So Badly That ‘Only Hope’ is Transplant - December 1, 2020