WEDNESDAY, Jan. 13, 2021 — Brain drain: Arguing with others puts a lot more strain on your brain than agreeing with them, a new study finds.
“Our entire brain is a social processing network,” said senior author Joy Hirsch, professor of psychiatry, comparative medicine and neuroscience at Yale University. “However, it just takes a lot more brain real estate to disagree than to agree.”
The researchers, from Yale and University College London, asked 38 adults whether they agreed or disagreed with a series of potentially contentious statements such as “same-sex marriage is a civil right” or “marijuana should be legalized.”
Researchers then monitored the participants’ brain activity when they were paired up and had face-to-face discussions about the topics.
When people agreed, their brain activity was harmonious and tended to be focused in sensory areas of the brain such as the visual system, possibly in response to social cues from the other person, according to the authors.
When people disagreed, sensory areas of the brain were less active while there was increased activity brain areas that handle higher order executive functions, such as reasoning.
“There is a synchronicity between the brains when we agree,” Hirsch said in a university news release. “But when we disagree, the neural coupling disconnects.” She noted that in discord, the two brains engage many emotional and thinking resources “like a symphony orchestra playing different music.”
The study was published Jan. 13 in the journal Frontiers of Human Neuroscience.
Understanding how our brains function while disagreeing or agreeing is important as the United States faces sharp political divisions, according to Hirsch.
© 2021 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: January 2021
- Kids’ ER Visits for Injuries Rose During Lockdown, While Non-Injury Cases Fell - January 18, 2021
- अनुसूचित-जाति के छात्रावासों में रहने वाले विद्यार्थियों की शिष्यवृत्ति में वृद्धि - January 18, 2021
- Vision problems? Here’s a guide to which specialist is right for you - January 18, 2021
- Gland Pharma Limited WalkIn Interviews for Quality Control on 19th Jan 2021 - January 18, 2021
- Top 10 Global Consumer Trends in 2021 - January 18, 2021
- खाद्य मंत्री श्री सिंह अनूपपुर, अमरकंटक प्रवास पर जायेंगे - January 18, 2021
- Health Tips Be Careful If You Do Not Have Breakfast These Losses Can Happen - January 18, 2021
- Focus on sleep quality over social media quantity to improve young people’s well-being - January 18, 2021
- Covid, Schools, and the High-Stakes Experiment No One Wanted - January 18, 2021
- वन मंत्री ने विंध्य हर्बल्स उत्पादों के ऑनलाइन विक्रय का किया लोकार्पण - January 18, 2021