Bejing: A common rheumatoid arthritis drug may be an effective new therapy for lowering blood glucose levels in patients with Type-2 diabetes, according to a study.
Rheumatoid arthritis, affecting approximately one per cent of the worldwide population, is a chronic autoimmune condition that causes pain and swelling in the joints.
The anti-inflammatory drug, lefluonamide, lowered blood glucose levels and reversed insulin resistance in mouse models of Type 2 diabetes, which suggests that this therapy could be repurposed as an effective antidiabetic treatment, particularly suitable for patients with both diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.
“We found that lefluonomide targets a protein involved in desensitising the insulin receptor, which is responsible for instructing the cells to start absorbing sugar from the bloodstream”, said Xiulong Xu, Professor at the Institute of Comparative Medicine at Yangzhou University in China.
Lefluonamide has long been approved to treat rheumatoid arthritis and previous clinical studies have noted that patients taking the drug tended to have lower blood glucose levels and that obese patients lost weight.
However, lefluonomide also acts on other molecular targets in the body. This suggests that more studies are needed to confirm that the anti-diabetic effects observed are solely caused by lefluonamide’s effect on the insulin receptor.
“We know some inflammatory factors can also desensitise the insulin receptor, and lefluonamide is an anti-inflammatory, so it may be that it controls blood sugar partly by its anti-inflammatory effect,” Xu said, in a paper published in the Journal of Endocrinology.
The next step for Xu is to conduct clinical trials to test if the antidiabetic effect of lefluonamide also occurs in humans as well as mice.zeenews
- ‘DONATE A LIFE’ BRINGS SMILE ON FACES OF 114 CANCER STRICKEN CHILDREN - August 12, 2020
- Mankind Pharma and Daewoong Pharmaceutical Announce Initiation of Phase 1 Clinical Trial on a ‘Novel’ - August 12, 2020
- Sara celebrates her 25th birthday, social media is flooded with wishes - August 12, 2020
- The meeting will be held for the circulation of vaccine - August 12, 2020
- “America Mein Khila Kamal”: Indian-Americans Celebrate Kamala Harris’s Selection - August 12, 2020
- 3 Killed In Police Firing In Bengaluru Amid Violence Over Facebook Post - August 12, 2020
- Sanjay Dutt diagnosed with Stage 3 lung cancer, to fly to US for treatment - August 12, 2020
- Sun Pharma Urgent openings for Multiple Positions for Bsc Msc BPharm M Pharm ITI - August 11, 2020
- Text Neck – a common ailment among smartphone addicts - August 11, 2020
- Mask Wearing Reduces 60% Risk of COVID-19 Infection: Says Experts - August 11, 2020