New Delhi: As per a new research, nearly one in four patients with an artificial heart valve are facing disturbance in their sleep, owing to the ticking sound produced by the machine.
Chronic sleep deprivation can lead to serious health problems like heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke and diabetes etc.
The study showed that because the noise produced by the mechanical heart valve was audible to them or others, the patients tend to avoid socialising, which in turn can affect their quality of life as well as increase the risk of developing depression and anxiety.
“Almost one-fourth of patients said that the sound of their mechanical heart valve makes it difficult for them to sleep. Most of us need a quiet environment when we are going to sleep and these patients found it hard to ignore the noise from the valve,” said lead author Kjersti Oterhals, researcher at Haukeland University Hospital in Norway.
“For some patients the closing sound of their mechanical heart valve reduces their quality of life, disturbs their sleep, causes them to avoid social situations, and leads to depression and anxiety,” Oterhals added.
For the study, presented at the EuroHeartCare 2017 in Sweden, the team involved 245 patients (average 60 years old and 76 per cent men) who had undergone aortic valve replacement and had received a mechanical valve at Haukeland University Hospital.
- AHPI & AIMED sign MoU to Promote Indian Medical Devices Industry and Make Quality Healthcare Affordable - February 22, 2019
- Are MRIs and X-rays enough to diagnose the cause of back pain? - February 22, 2019
- Access to affordable medical care and National Health Protection Scheme, priority of Government - February 19, 2019
- बस एक ब्लड टेस्ट और 16 साल पहले सुन लेंगे इस खतरनाक बीमारी की दस्तक, जानिए क्या है यह - February 19, 2019
- नियमित धूप लेने से स्वस्थ्य रहेंगे आप, जानें इसके अनेक फायदे - February 19, 2019
- भारत में इलाज के खर्च को कम करने के लिए अधिक निवेश की जरूरत: ISCR - February 19, 2019
- फेफड़ों के कैंसर के इलाज के लिए बेस्ट है टागेर्टेड और इम्यूनो थेरेपी, जानिए इसके फायदे - February 19, 2019
- स्पाइन से जुड़ी बीमारियों से अगर आप हैं पीड़ित तो मत होइए परेशान! अपनाएं ये तरीका - February 18, 2019
- 2 साल का बच्चा बना सबसे कम उम्र का अंगदाता, बचाईं 6 जिंदगियां - February 18, 2019
- अगर आपको नहीं है बच्चा तो मत होइए परेशान, अपनाएं ये तरीका पर रहें सावधान! - February 18, 2019