TUESDAY, Feb. 9, 2021 — Severe frailty significantly increases the risk of death in COVID-19 patients, British researchers say.
In their new study, the investigators analyzed data from more than 5,700 COVID-19 patients at 55 hospitals in 12 countries. They found that those who were severely frail were three times more likely to die than those who weren’t frail.
That increased risk was independent of age, according to the report published Feb. 5 in the journal Age and Ageing.
The study team also found that patients with severe frailty who survived COVID-19 were seven times more likely to require increased care at home or in a group setting.
“We now have evidence to show that those most at risk from COVID-19 are those who are older, or living with frailty, or have underlying health conditions,” said Dr. Daisy Wilson, clinical research fellow at the University of Birmingham, in the United Kingdom.
The risk of frailty — which leaves the body more vulnerable to the effects of illness — rises as people get older, but it can develop at different ages, the researchers noted in a university news release.
Senior study author Carly Welch said, “It was identified very early in the pandemic that older age was a significant risk factor for a higher chance of death with COVID-19.” Welch is a clinical research fellow in geriatric medicine at the university’s Institute of Inflammation & Ageing.
“However,” she added, “not all older people are the same, we all age differently — some people can live well into their 90s without developing frailty, and it can develop even without the presence of other long-term conditions.”
The study also found that delirium, which is common in COVID-19 patients, is not independently linked with increased risk of death in these patients.
COVID-19 survivors are more likely to require a higher level of care after leaving the hospital if they are older, frail or have delirium, dementia or other mental health problems, the study team reported.
© 2021 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: February 2021
Further Support and Information on COVID-19
- AHA News: How Science Evolved Its Views on Women’s Health - March 8, 2021
- बलात धर्मान्तरण को रोकने धर्म स्वातंत्र्य कानून कारगर होगा : मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान - March 8, 2021
- How science evolved its views on women’s health - March 8, 2021
- Guidance for Vaccinated Americans is on the Way - March 8, 2021
- सीमेंट निर्माण में होगा 900 करोड़ रूपये का निवेश - March 8, 2021
- अंतर्राष्ट्रीय महिला दिवस पर मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान द्वारा सौगातों की बौछार - March 8, 2021
- Neha Kakkar Was Sitting On These Two Beauty Mistakes, Had To Suffer Bruising, Now She Takes Care Of Skin - March 8, 2021
- COVID vaccines will not make you test positive for coronavirus, and other vaccine facts - March 8, 2021
- मुख्यमंत्री श्री शिवराज सिंह चौहान ने सपत्नीक दीदी कैफे में किया भोजन - March 8, 2021
- Shraddha Kapoor’s Skin Is Very Sensitive, It Works To Keep Clean And Fresh - March 8, 2021