A recent statewide survey of Californians uncovered that 30% of Black adults and 13% of Hispanic adults felt that they have been judged or treated differently by a health care provider because of their race/ethnicity or language.
One out of six Black and Latino Californians were more likely to report strong mistrust of their health care providers. Researchers at the Charles R. Drew University in Los Angeles analyzed data from more than 2,300 White, Hispanic, and non-Hispanic Black adults who asked to report on perceived discrimination due to race, ethnicity, language, income, and insurance status or type. Black and Hispanic adults reported higher rates of discrimination across the board, including income and insurance-based discrimination. Black and Hispanic adults reported higher rates of discrimination, including income and insurance-based discrimination. In addition, 20% and 10% of Black and Latino adults stated that they could not get health care services they needed because of racial/ethnic or language discrimination, respectively.
The analysis also found a link between having a consistent primary care physician and overall medical trust. Adults who did not have a usual source of primary care were much more likely to report mistrust of healthcare providers. The research team discusses the link between medical mistrust, racial and ethnic discrimination in health care, and roots in institutionalized racism, declaring that “resolving mistrust requires addressing systemic bias and prejudice in the medical system,” echoing recent sentiments expressed by the American Medical Association.
U.S. surgical residents report racial/ethnic discrimination common
Mohsen Bazargan et al. Discrimination and Medical Mistrust in a Racially and Ethnically Diverse Sample of California Adults, The Annals of Family Medicine (2021). DOI: 10.1370/afm.2632
Black and Hispanic Californians face health discrimination; less trusting of clinicians (2021, January 12)
retrieved 12 January 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Biden Outlines ‘Bold’ National Vaccine Effort - January 16, 2021
- महिला सम्मान के लिये चलाए जा रहे अभियान में समाज सहभागी बने - January 16, 2021
- Cancer Screening Fell Sharply Early in Pandemic, But Has Rebounded - January 16, 2021
- Why expansion of vaccine to smokers caused a stir - January 16, 2021
- Sunrise International Pvt Ltd Multiple Openings for Production Quality Control Quality Assurance IPQA Departments Apply Now - January 16, 2021
- मंत्री डॉ. मिश्रा ने कोरोना वैक्सीनेशन कराने वालों से की चर्चा - January 16, 2021
- California now reporting 525 virus deaths every day - January 16, 2021
- स्वदेशी वैक्सीन का निर्माण गर्व का विषय : मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान - January 16, 2021
- Swallowing Problems (Dysphagia) Causes, Types, Symtpoms & Treatment - January 16, 2021
- Mexico sees record spike in coronavirus cases - January 16, 2021