Canada announced Tuesday a deal to secure an additional 20 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, which would allow for more than half of Canadians to be inoculated before summer.
The American and German pharmaceutical giants will also accelerate deliveries of their jointly-developed vaccine over the coming months, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told a news conference.
“Between mid-April and June, we will have enough doses to vaccinate up to 20 million people,” or more than half of Canada’s population of 38 million, he said.
This—along with the parallel rollout of a Moderna vaccine in December—puts Canada “on track to have every Canadian who wants a vaccine receive one by September,” he added.
Hedging bets, Canada has ordered and placed options with seven pharmaceutical firms for more than 400 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines in total.
As of Tuesday, Canada counted more than 673,000 COVID-19 cases and 17,000 deaths.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
Canada buys additional 20 million Pfizer vaccine doses (2021, January 12)
retrieved 13 January 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Health Tips How To Get Rid Of White Hair - January 25, 2021
- Despite some advances, women still face disparities of the global burden of stroke - January 25, 2021
- मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान से मंत्री श्री भदौरिया की चाय पर चर्चा - January 25, 2021
- GACVS COVID-19 Vaccine Safety subcommittee meeting to review reports of deaths of very frail elderly individuals vaccinated with Pfizer BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, BNT162b2 - January 25, 2021
- Health Tips Green Chili Side Effects Know Everything - January 25, 2021
- Mental health is important to overall health, and heart disease prevention and treatment - January 25, 2021
- Spice HealthCare Walk In 29th Jan 2021 for MD Microbiologist - January 25, 2021
- Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd PrePlanned Open Interview for Quality Control IPQA QA Production Departments on 31st Jan 2021 - January 25, 2021
- गोबर एवं पराली दोनों ही अत्यंत उपयोगी - January 25, 2021
- COVAX Announces new agreement, plans for first deliveries - January 25, 2021