SUNDAY, Oct. 18, 2020 — As the weather gets cooler and social activities move indoors, Americans need to take steps to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus, an expert says.
“We now know that if we are going to socialize with people who are not in our household — or in our pandemic pod — being outside or in a well-ventilated space is better than being inside without outside air circulation,” said Lisa Lee, a public health expert at Virginia Tech University.
If you’re planning indoor gatherings, keep the number of guests as low as possible, leave enough space to maintain 6 feet or more between people, and wear face coverings.
“These preventive measures are more important than ever because we know that recent COVID-19 cases are among younger people, who are less likely to have symptoms and might not even know that they are contagious,” Lee said in a university news release.
“As families mix — young with old, healthy with frail — we will see more vulnerable people becoming infected and dying,” she added. “Protect your grandparents by making sure everyone wears a mask.”
As for fall traditions such as trick-or-treating on Halloween, visiting pumpkin patches and indoor haunted houses, Lee offered safety guidelines.
Avoid crowds, especially indoors; maintain social distancing; wash your hands often, and wear a face covering.
Consider replacing indoor activities with outdoor ones. For example, take a walk to look at the autumn colors; go for a hike; have a scavenger hunt, or visit a farm that offers fall hay rides. Plan ahead so you can avoid crowds, keep your distance and wear a mask, Lee said.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: October 2020
Further Support and Information on COVID-19
- उषा ने एंटी-बैक्टीरियल स्टरलाइजेशन सिस्टम वाली वाटर हीटर रेन्ज लॉन्च की - October 22, 2020
- Czechs enter 2nd lockdown to avoid health system collapse - October 22, 2020
- The new abnormal: vulnerable patients hit by pharmacy closures - October 22, 2020
- New U.S. Bank Mobile App Delivers Unprecedented Personalized Insights - October 22, 2020
- सहकारी क्षेत्र में यूरिया एवं डी.ए.पी. की पर्याप्त उपलब्धता - October 22, 2020
- Coronavirus Plan: After Testing Positive, What Should Be Your Next Steps? - October 22, 2020
- Scleroderma Symptoms, Treatment, Diagnosis, Causes & Prognosis - October 22, 2020
- Germany’s virus situation ‘very serious’: health body - October 22, 2020
- PerkinElmer Genomics Introduces Physician-Ordered Genetic Screening Test for Proactive Health Management - October 22, 2020
- Visceral Fat Around Waist And Abdominal Can Give Look Ugly, What Should Do To Remove - October 22, 2020