MONDAY, Nov. 2, 2020 — Construction workers have a higher risk of being hospitalized with COVID-19 than other workers, a new study finds.
Using data collected between March and August on hospitalizations in Austin, Texas, researchers found that construction workers were five times more likely than people in other occupations to be hospitalized with COVID-19.
Their greater vulnerability is probably because construction work continued throughout the pandemic, even during stay-at-home orders and other community-wide public health measures, the study authors suggested.
And the nature of the work is riskier because of the close contact with others, the researchers said.
“It doesn’t necessarily mean we need to stop construction work,” said Lauren Ancel Meyers, director of the COVID-19 Modeling Consortium at the University of Texas at Austin. “It means we need to go to great lengths to ensure the health and safety of workers when they do go to work.”
Encouraging basic safety precautions at worksites such as wearing masks and physical distancing would help, as would giving workers paid sick leave and other incentives to stay home when they have been exposed or have mild symptoms, to help reduce risk, the researchers said in a university news release.
Regular COVID-19 testing at work with contact tracing and isolation of detected cases would also help curb the spread, the study authors added.
The findings were published online Oct. 29 in JAMA Network Open.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: November 2020
Further Support and Information on COVID-19
- इंग्लैंड के 2.5 मिलियन लोगों को सरकार देगी मुफ्त विटामिन D की गोली, फैसले के पीछे बताई ये वजह - November 29, 2020
- महामारी से लोगों के व्यवहार पर पड़ा असर, व्यस्कों ने इम्यूनिटी बनाने के लिए किया ज्यादा प्रयास-सर्वे - November 29, 2020
- Tips: स्किन को चमकदार और जवान बनाने के लिए घर पर तैयार इस फेस सीरम का करें इस्तेमाल - November 29, 2020
- Jubilant Generics hiring QA QC Production JR RESEARCH ASSOCIATE - November 29, 2020
- GlaxoSmithKline Recruitment Clinical Dictionaries Analyst - November 29, 2020
- Deccan Fine Chemicals walkin 6th Dec 2020 Freshers and experience - November 29, 2020
- Corona Remedies Pvt Ltd Excellent Job Opportunity for BPharm Freshers in Manufacturing QA Departments - November 29, 2020
- Virus numbers could be erratic after Thanksgiving - November 29, 2020
- LOreal Research and Innovation Work as Intern - November 29, 2020
- Bhavdiya Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research Faculty Recruitment - November 29, 2020