On Tuesday, the Trump administration announced it would recommend a COVID-19 vaccine for every American older than 65 years, as it tries to speed up the nation’s vaccine rollout.
Health officials also recommended that COVID-19 vaccines be given to all adults with preexisting conditions that make them more vulnerable to severe COVID-19 infection, The New York Times reported. Right now, the vaccines are largely being distributed to people in the highest-risk categories, including frontline health care workers and older people and staff in nursing homes. More community centers and pharmacies will also be added to the list of places where people can be vaccinated.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services will also no longer hold back vaccine doses to ensure that those who receive a first dose will have a second dose in reserve. Instead, all existing doses will be sent to states to provide initial inoculations, The Times reported.
Just days ago, President-Elect Joseph Biden’s aides said his administration would make a similar adjustment by using more of the already-procured vaccines for initial doses. Biden’s team said it would aim to distribute the doses more quickly at federally run vaccination sites in high school gyms and sports stadiums and send mobile units to reach high-risk populations.
As of Tuesday, nearly 27.7 million doses of coronavirus vaccines have been distributed and more than 9.3 million have made their way into patients’ arms, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
The New York Times Article
More Information: CDC
Copyright © 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
COVID-19 vaccine recommended for all Americans over 65 (2021, January 14)
retrieved 14 January 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- California now reporting 525 virus deaths every day - January 16, 2021
- स्वदेशी वैक्सीन का निर्माण गर्व का विषय : मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान - January 16, 2021
- Swallowing Problems (Dysphagia) Causes, Types, Symtpoms & Treatment - January 16, 2021
- Mexico sees record spike in coronavirus cases - January 16, 2021
- पशुपालन मंत्री श्री पटेल ने 9 गाँवों में 9 करोड़ की नल-जल योजनाओं का किया भूमि-पूजन - January 16, 2021
- Rusan Pharma Hiring MS MSc Science for Production API R and D - January 16, 2021
- GenNext India Hiring BPharm Mpharma Bsc Msc for Multiple Openings - January 16, 2021
- India’s jumbo-sized vaccine rollout in numbers - January 16, 2021
- मध्यप्रदेश केन्द्र सरकार की योजनाओं में बेहतर प्रदर्शन करने वाला राज्य - January 16, 2021
- What Happened to the Flu This Year? - January 16, 2021