The Indian Medical Association (IMA) will hold a two-hour satyagraha on Wednesday, International Tolerance Day, across the country, seeking a time-bound implementation of its demands by the Central government.
The IMA had planned to hold a satyagraha last November itself but decided to postpone it after the Centre agreed to form a committee to look into its demands.
The IMA has issued a six-point demand that includes continuing the professional autonomy of the Medical Council of India (MCI), capping of compensation on the lines of clinical trials formula and protection of doctors while at work. “The MCI should not be made a nominated body. The government should maintain the professional autonomy of the MCI by amending the existing MCI Act to make it more stringent. Also, compensation cannot be on the income of the patient, but should be based only on the fees charged by the doctor,” K.K. Agarwal, Secretary General, IMA, told The Hindu after a meeting of its Central Working Committee on Sunday.
On single clinics
He said the IMA demanded that single clinical establishments should be out of the purview of Clinical Establishment Act. “Under it, single clinics will be treated as corporates which means the cost of treatment will go up for patients. It defeats the whole purpose of subsidised treatment being provided by single clinics,” he said.
“We will give the government six weeks’ time to reply to our demands. The inter-ministerial committee constituted by the government said it could only make recommendations and not give us any assurances on its implementation. If we don’t get a satisfactory reply, we will decide on the next course of action in another meeting,” Dr. Agarwal said.
- Tips to survive the summers better by Mr Satkam Divya, CEO, KlinicApp - June 12, 2019
- बजाज फिनसर्व अपने #FitForLife अभियान के साथ स्वस्थ भारत की परिकल्पना को करेगा साकार - June 12, 2019
- India to give Cancer Treatment Technology to the West - June 8, 2019
- खाने के बर्तनों का साइज छोटा करके भी हो सकता है डाइट कंट्रोल : जानी-मानी डाइटिशियन स्नेहा परांजपे का सेमिनार - June 6, 2019
- Aster CMI Hospital showcases its commitment towards environment conservation - June 5, 2019
- Aster CMI Hospital gives new lease of life to an 8-year-old rural kid through affordable liver transplant initiative - June 3, 2019
- Lung Cancer Can Strike You At Any Age - June 1, 2019
- Smokers are thrice more prone to chronic back pain - May 31, 2019
- ‘Indians need to be especially wary of smoking as we genetically have smaller arteries’ – Dr Ramakanta Panda - May 31, 2019
- BR Life SSNMC Hospital launches Emergency Unit – Declaration as Unique Nodal Center for Bengaluru South by “GOLDEN HOUR” - May 31, 2019