Washington: Consuming green leafy vegetables may be a novel way to reduce stress and lower the risk of experiencing a stroke, a study has found.
Intracerebral hemorrhage – bleeding within the brain – takes a high toll on working-age people in Nigeria and Ghana, with high blood pressure accounting for more than 90 percent of this often-lethal type of stroke.
According to the findings, people who ate more green leafy vegetables had 64 percent lower risk of experiencing a stroke.
Researchers studied 682 patients (average age 53.7 years) who experienced brain bleeds.
Bleeding strokes accounted for 32.2 percent of all strokes in the study.
Of the bleeding strokes, 93.9 percent were determined to be related to high blood pressure, 7.2 percent to structural abnormalities such as a bulging weak area of a blood vessel, and much smaller percentages to other medical conditions or medication use.
The research was presented at the American Stroke Associations International Stroke Conference 2018.
Comparing patients with high blood pressure-related brain bleeds to similar people in the same communities without stroke, the researchers found that the risks were 2.33 times as high in people with diabetes.
They found that risks were 2.22 times as high in people who reported more stress at home and work, 1.69 times as high in people with abnormal cholesterol levels and 10.01 times as high in tobacco smokers.zeenews
- Decoding the heat stroke and cardiac arrest connect - April 22, 2019
- ब्रेकफास्ट को इग्नोर करने से आपको भी हो सकता है इस बात का खतरा - April 19, 2019
- Hospital acquired infections (hai) can be fatal - April 19, 2019
- Endress+Hauser India eyes growth in domestic sales - April 18, 2019
- Over 2000 took benefit of free medical camp organised by ‘Ekata Manch’ - April 17, 2019
- Palliative Care: Where treatments & compassion go together - April 17, 2019
- L V Prasad Eye Institute’s second edition of Whitathon to create awareness on Retinoblastoma eye cancer - April 17, 2019
- World Hemophilia Day: Urgent need to establish dedicated Centres for Hemophilia - April 17, 2019
- Nizams grandchildren donate Medical Devices & Surgical items to Nizamia - April 17, 2019
- लोगों को खुशहाल और अच्छा महसूस कराती है मुस्कुराहटः Research - April 16, 2019