Five more Spanish regions, including Madrid, said Wednesday they would close their borders ahead of the All Saints’ Day long weekend to try to halt a surge in coronavirus infections.
Spanish families traditionally visit the graves of loved ones on the November 1 holiday to leave flowers. As this year the holiday falls on a Sunday, Monday has been declared a holiday to create a three-day weekend.
Some six million people travel to other parts of Spain during the All Saints’ Day holiday and as a result the regional government of Madrid plans to close the region’s borders from Friday until November 2, said the head of the region’s government, Isabel Diaz Ayuso.
“We are aware that we must continue to reduce social contacts,” she told a joint news conference with the heads of the neighbouring regions of Castilla and Leon and Castilla-La Mancha who said they would shut their borders until Monday November 9, a bank holiday in Madrid.
Separately, the coastal regions of Murcia in the southeast and Andalusia in the southwest, popular destinations for residents of inland cities like Madrid during long weekends, said they would also shut their borders from Friday until November 9.
The move means no one will be able to enter or leave the regions during this period except for essential reasons such as seeking medical care or going to work.
“The pandemic is growing exponentially,” said the leader of the northwestern Castilla and Leon region, Alfonso Fernandez Manueco.
“We have to adopt measures, drastic measures which at the same time are proportional.”
Three of Spain’s 17 regions—Navarra, La Rioja and the Basque Country—have already closed their borders earlier this month.
Since exiting a strict national lockdown in June, coronavirus cases in Spain have soared, with thousands of infections diagnosed every day. Hospitalisations, though lower than their March-April peak, are also on the rise.
Spain last week became the first European Union nation to surpass one million confirmed COVID-19 infections, with the virus claiming more than 35,000 lives.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
Five Spanish regions close borders to fight virus (2020, October 28)
retrieved 28 October 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Why coronavirus rules should be about more than just stopping transmission - November 25, 2020
- AHA News: Teens’ Ultra-Processed Diet Puts Their Hearts at Risk - November 25, 2020
- HETERO Pool Campus Drive for BSc MPharm Freshers Production QC QA Departments on 30th Nov 2020 - November 25, 2020
- सभी पात्र आदिवासी बंधुओं को मिलेंगे काबिज भूमि के पट्टे - November 25, 2020
- Getting drugs to cancer patients - November 25, 2020
- Health Highlights, Nov. 25, 2020 - November 25, 2020
- धर्म स्वातंत्र्य विधेयक-2020 को अंतिम रूप दिया जा रहा है - November 25, 2020
- Health Tips Lose Weight With Eggs By Avoiding These 4 Mistakes - November 25, 2020
- New study explains important cause of fatal influenza - November 25, 2020
- 26 नवम्बर को मनाया जायेगा संविधान दिवस - November 25, 2020