On the occasion of World Cancer Day, kids suffering from cancer and their parents from across India are writing letters to the PM and urging for a National plan and policy for childhood cancer in India. For a country like India that accounts for more than 25% of the world’s childhood cancer where over 250 centres treat kids with cancer, we have Poor access to care Less than 30% make it to a cancer centre; the top 10 centres see no more than 13-15% of children and survival rates vary from 10 – 80% across hospitals.
In reply to all the tweets and letters, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday said his government is committed to ensuring early detection and affordable treatment of cancer. On World Cancer Day, the prime minister also appreciated research on cancer, saying it will go a long way in ensuring a healthier planet.
“Today, on World Cancer Day we reiterate our commitment towards ensuring early detection and affordable treatment of cancer. Initiatives like Ayushman Bharat (health scheme) have a strong emphasis on providing quality healthcare and ensuring cancer-free lives,” he tweeted. He hailed all those who are valiantly fighting the disease. “Millions are inspired by their remarkable zeal,” he said. “I also appreciate those researching aspects of cancer treatment. Their efforts will go a long way in ensuring a healthier planet,” he wrote.
- Esha Gupta’s extreme stretch amazes everyone, Masaba’s comment wins the day - March 2, 2021
- Low cost, high-efficiency mask design presented by Oxford study - March 2, 2021
- Rajasthan govt expects higher revenue from e-auction of liquor shops - March 2, 2021
- Health minister Harsh Vardhan to take Covid-19 vaccine shot today - March 2, 2021
- This 50 Push-Up Challenge Will Transform Your Body in 30 Days - March 2, 2021
- Private health insurers offering 80-100 pc discounts on renewal premia - March 1, 2021
- Fujifilm India launches FDR nano - March 1, 2021
- Sharp Spike in Cases of Mature Cataract and Dry Eyes during Pandemic - February 26, 2021
- PFRDA Chairman: With an Inbuilt System of Annuity NPS Ensures Regular Income after Retirement - February 26, 2021
- Childhood obesity and its impact on thyroid in the later years - February 26, 2021