Greece will re-enter a lockdown from Saturday for three weeks to battle a second wave of the coronavirus, Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis announced.
“It was a difficult decision” but “measures must be taken for three weeks to overcome this second wave”, he told a videoconference on Thursday.
Under the measures, Greeks can only leave their homes if they make an official request via SMS or mobile phone and then receive authorisation.
Only “essential shops” including supermarkets and pharmacies can stay open when the lockdown starts at 6 am (0400 GMT) on Saturday, Mitsotakis said.
Unlike the previous six-week lockdown that began in late March, he said kindergartens and primary schools will remain open.
Secondary school pupils will be taught remotely, something university students are already doing under recent measures.
The new lockdown comes at the daily tally of coronavirus cases continues to grow.
A total of 2,646 new infections and 18 deaths were recorded on Wednesday, up sharply from last week.
The virus has killed 673 people in Greece among almost 47,000 infected.
But it is the number of people in intensive care that worries authorities most of all.
The number of people on hospitalised on ventilators has more than doubled in a month, from 82 on October 4 to 169 on Wednesday.
“Why take this decision now?”, said the prime minister. “In the last five days we have seen a dangerous increase in the number of dead” and the number of people in intensive care in hospital.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
Greece to re-enter virus lockdown from Saturday (2020, November 5)
retrieved 5 November 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- भगवान बिरसा मुण्डा ने जनजातीय संस्कृति और देश की आजादी के लिए प्राणों की आहुति दी- मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान - November 25, 2020
- Why coronavirus rules should be about more than just stopping transmission - November 25, 2020
- AHA News: Teens’ Ultra-Processed Diet Puts Their Hearts at Risk - November 25, 2020
- HETERO Pool Campus Drive for BSc MPharm Freshers Production QC QA Departments on 30th Nov 2020 - November 25, 2020
- सभी पात्र आदिवासी बंधुओं को मिलेंगे काबिज भूमि के पट्टे - November 25, 2020
- Getting drugs to cancer patients - November 25, 2020
- Health Highlights, Nov. 25, 2020 - November 25, 2020
- धर्म स्वातंत्र्य विधेयक-2020 को अंतिम रूप दिया जा रहा है - November 25, 2020
- Health Tips Lose Weight With Eggs By Avoiding These 4 Mistakes - November 25, 2020
- New study explains important cause of fatal influenza - November 25, 2020