Greek Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis on Saturday declared a one-month partial coronavirus lockdown, shutting down restaurants and other leisure activities in Athens and other major cities from Tuesday.
“We must act now, before intensive care units buckle under the strain of lives in danger,” Mitsotakis said in a televised address.
“The virus is attacking in waves, and we need to quickly adapt,” he said.
Greece has registered over 37,000 coronavirus cases since February, including over 1,600 on Friday. Accelerating from August onwards, the virus has caused 620 deaths to date.
The PM said the lockdown would shut down eateries, cafes, clubs, cinemas, museums and gyms in worst-hit areas, but would not affect retail businesses and schools, to soften the blow to the economy.
In addition to the capital, the latest restrictions apply to most major cities in northern Greece including Thessaloniki, Larissa and Ioannina.
The rest of the country will have to abide by an overnight curfew from midnight to 5:00 am, in addition to the compulsory use of masks even indoors, Mitsotakis said.
But in contrast to a nationwide lockdown imposed in March, movement between regions is not restricted for now, he added.
Hotels and hair salons will also be allowed to operate.
“A total lockdown would hurt the economy and society,” Mitsotakis said.
The government had already declared a night curfew from 00:30 am to 0500 am in Athens, Thessaloniki and other areas on October 22.
That followed localised lockdowns in the northern regions of Kozani and Kastoria earlier this month.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
Greek PM declares partial coronavirus lockdown (2020, October 31)
retrieved 31 October 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- कोविड समीक्षा बैठक में स्वास्थ्य मंत्री डॉ. चौधरी विदिशा से शामिल हुए - November 30, 2020
- Teladoc eyes several new phases of growth for telemedicine - November 30, 2020
- Virus surge leads to curfew in San Francisco - November 30, 2020
- मध्यप्रदेश में कोविड-19 के दौरान बच्चों के मानसिक स्वास्थ्य बनाए रखने के प्रयासों की सर्वोच्च न्यायालय ने की सराहना - November 30, 2020
- NYC to reopen schools, even as virus spread intensifies - November 30, 2020
- स्वास्थ्य मंत्री डॉ. चौधरी ने सॉची में भगवान बुद्ध के शिष्यों के पवित्र अस्थि कलशों का पूजन किया - November 30, 2020
- Booze robbing many Americans of their sleep - November 30, 2020
- आत्मनिर्भर मध्यप्रदेश की परिकल्पना को साकार करने में सभी का सहयोग आवश्यक - November 30, 2020
- A short guide to quarantining after holiday travel - November 30, 2020
- कोरोना महामारी से बचाव के लिए रहें सतर्क - November 29, 2020