Facebook Targets New COVID-19 Vaccine Falsehoods
Facebook says it will ban new lies about COVID-19 vaccines that are circulating on the social network, such as falsehoods that the shots are ineffective, toxic, dangerous or cause autism.
All such claims have been debunked for both COVID-19 shots and all types of vaccines, the Associated Press reported.
Facebook previously banned a number of related lies, including: vaccines don’t actually exist, vaccines cause infertility, vaccines contain tracking microchips; and masks are ineffective.
But it’s not clear if the new ban will be more effective than the company’s previous efforts to halt such misinformation.
“Millions of people are being fed dangerous lies which lead them to doubt government guidance on COVID and on vaccines, prolonging the pandemic,” Imran Ahmed, CEO of the watchdog group Center for Countering Digital Hate, told the AP.
Fossil Fuel Air Pollution Killed Nearly 9 Million People in 2018: Study
Fossil fuel air pollution caused 8.7 million deaths worldwide in 2018, an annual toll that’s nearly twice as high as previous estimates, according to a new study.
It said that breathing in particulate matter emitted by the burning of fossil fuels such as oil and coal accounted for nearly 1 in 5 global deaths that year, CBS News reported.
The study was published Feb. 9 in the journal Environmental Research.
Regions with the highest levels of fossil-fuel pollution had the highest death rates. They included eastern North America, Europe and Southeast Asia, which includes China and India, CBS News reported.
“Our study adds to the mounting evidence that air pollution from ongoing dependence on fossil fuels is detrimental to global health,” study co-author Eloise Marais said in statement.
“We can’t in good conscience continue to rely on fossil fuels, when we know that there are such severe effects on health and viable, cleaner alternatives.”
© 2021 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: February 2021
Further Support and Information on COVID-19
- What to know about the side effects of the COVID-19 vaccination - March 2, 2021
- Underarm Lump After COVID Shot Is Likely Lymph Swelling, Not Breast Cancer, Experts Say - March 2, 2021
- फीस नहीं देने के कारण परीक्षा से नहीं किया जाएगा वंचित: राज्य मंत्री श्री परमार - March 2, 2021
- WHO expert panel strongly advises against use of hydroxychloroquine to prevent COVID-19 - March 2, 2021
- U.S. Flu Vaccinations Hit New Record High This Season - March 2, 2021
- कोरोना वैक्सीनेशन संबंधी जानकारी देने के लिए पांच अधिकारी नामांकित - March 2, 2021
- Why you still can’t visit unmasked, even if you’re fully vaccinated - March 2, 2021
- Vaccinating Oldest First for COVID Saves the Most Lives: Study - March 2, 2021
- पचोर नगर की जलावर्धन योजना के लिए भूमि आवंटित - March 2, 2021
- States easing virus restrictions despite experts’ warnings - March 2, 2021