How do you stop stomach cramps?
Most stomach cramps are mild and resolve on their own with the help of self care measures.
Try following these home care steps to alleviate stomach cramps
- Get adequate rest.
- Drink plenty of water or other clear fluids.
- Avoid solid food for the first few hours.
- If cramps have been accompanied by vomiting, wait for six hours and then eat small amounts of food, such as crackers, rice or applesauce.
- Avoid milk, cheese, yogurt and other dairy products.
- Avoid foods and beverages like
- Citrus foods
- High-fat foods
- Fried or greasy foods
- Tomato products
- Carbonated beverages
- Antacids may be useful in case of heartburn or indigestion that may accompany cramps.
- Do not take medicine without the consent of a physician.
These steps may also prevent stomach cramps
- Eat a high-fiber and well-balanced diet.
- Limit foods that produce gas.
- Exercise regularly.
- Eat small meals more frequently.
- Drink plenty of water each day.
- Wash your hands before eating or preparing food.
- Avoid overeating and avoid eating right before going to sleep.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Avoid expired foods or incorrectly stored food.
- Avoid foods that may trigger allergies.
- Reduce stress and anxiety to help prevent cramps.
What are stomach cramps?
Stomach cramps are cyclical tightening of the muscles of the gut that cause pain. It is a nonspecific symptom that refers to the pain present anywhere in the abdominal area. Organs in the abdomen include the stomach, small intestine, colon, liver, gallbladder and pancreas, and any disorder in these organs may cause pain. Most stomach cramps are not serious and heal with home remedies. However, cramps that last for a long time need a consultation with a physician.
Medically Reviewed on 9/18/2020
- FDC Limited Hiring BPharma Mpharma for Assistant Manager QA - October 28, 2020
- तरबूज, अलसी और खरबूजे के बीज के बिना आपका डाइट प्लान है अधूरा, जानिये इनके फायदे और इस्तेमाल का तरीका - October 28, 2020
- Venclexta (venetoclax) - October 28, 2020
- Divided Belgium turns into Europe’s worst virus hot spot - October 28, 2020
- 200 mn Covid vaccine doses pledged for ‘equitable’ use - October 28, 2020
- Need to Pee? Scientists May Have Found the Gene for That - October 28, 2020
- Governor bans indoor dining in Chicago as virus cases surge - October 28, 2020
- Torrent Pharma Limited Urgently Opening for Technology Transfer Apply Now - October 28, 2020
- LINCOLN PHARMACEUTICALS LIMITED WalkIn Interviews for Fresher and Experienced in Production QA ADL R and D on 1st Nov 2020 - October 28, 2020
- British Safety Council Offers Robust 'Return to Work' COVID-19 Protocol - October 28, 2020