WEDNESDAY, Oct. 28, 2020 — Many teachers are suffering from burnout as they try to cope with teaching during a pandemic, worrying about managing students and dealing with anxiety about their own health.
But Ann Murphy, director of the Northeast and Caribbean Mental Health Technology Transfer Center at Rutgers School of Health Professions in New Jersey, says teachers can manage stress and anxiety during this challenging time with the help of administrators.
The symptoms of burnout include feeling unfulfilled, overwhelmed, easily frustrated, exhausted, forgetful, easily distracted, fatigued, having difficulty sleeping and having changes in appetite with weight loss or gain. Over time, burnout can lead to anxiety, depression and physical problems.
The best way to avoid burnout is to have a self-care routine, filled with activities that you enjoy and look forward to like walking, yoga or napping, Murphy said in a Rutgers news release.
Create a balance between work and home life, like scheduling related activities in a certain time frame. Instead of immediately replying to emails, set aside blocks of time and return emails then, she explained. You can have an automatic email reply that lets people know you’ll return emails during set hours so they won’t expect an immediate response. Also, set a time later in the afternoon or evening after which you won’t reply to emails so you can create a space between work and non-work time.
Also consider professional help from a mental health professional, Murphy suggested.
School administrators can hold regular open forums to discuss teachers’ and staff members’ concerns, maintain regular communication so that everyone feels they are informed, be transparent about how and why decisions are made, and include all stakeholders, she advised.
Administrators can create nurturing environments that recognize the good work being done, promote team building and inform teachers and staff about physical and mental health support, Murphy noted.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: October 2020
Further Support and Information on COVID-19
- Topgallant Media Acknowledged and Felicitated the Winners of COVID Warriors Award 2020 - November 27, 2020
- Unwanted Antibiotic can Destroy the Health of a Body Builder: Dr. Anuj Chaudhary - November 27, 2020
- नवकरणीय ऊर्जा क्षेत्र में निवेश को बढ़ावा देकर हासिल करेंगे सर्वश्रेष्ठ परिणाम - November 27, 2020
- Covid-19 Vaccine: Hetero Signs Deal With Russia To Produce 100 Million Doses Of Sputnik V In India - November 27, 2020
- Former Berlin airport gets new life as vaccination centre - November 27, 2020
- Legrand India Wins 'The Most Innovative COVID-19 Response' Award at the IFCCI CSR Conclave and Awards 2020 - November 27, 2020
- UK asks regulator to study AstraZeneca vaccine - November 27, 2020
- Marine Bio Donates High-End Protective Masks to Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital - November 27, 2020
- Rakshit Pharmaceuticals Walkin 28th Nov QAD CQA and RA QCD Engineering - November 27, 2020
- Cipla Walkin 6th Dec 2020 for QA QC Microbiology - November 27, 2020