Iceland on Friday ordered bars and discos closed and limited public gatherings to no more than 10 people to halt rising novel coronavirus cases.
The subarctic island country also ordered restaurants to shut by 9 pm and banned all indoor and outdoor sporting activities except for international matches.
The new rules, which will also allow schools to remain open, will take effect starting Saturday and remain in force until November 17.
“It is necessary to reinforce measures because the infection rate is not decreasing,” Prime Minister Katrin Jakobsdottir told a Reykjavik press conference.
Previously public gatherings had been capped at 20 people, but has now been cut to 10, with the exception of supermarkets and pharmacies which are allowed to accept up to 100 people depending on the size of the building.
A two-metre distance rule, coupled with a mandate to wear masks when this can not be upheld, only applied to people aged 15 and up before but was extended to everyone except those born in 2015 and after.
Iceland has already tightened measures several times to curb the spread of the novel coronavirus in October.
But while the curve was on a downward trajectory 10 days ago, a breakout in the geriatric department of a university hospital building last weekend led to an increase in hospital admissions.
Iceland with its some 365,000 inhabitants has confirmed 4,797 cases of COVID-19 and 13 deaths, including three in the last fortnight.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
Iceland shuts down night life to fight virus surge (2020, October 30)
retrieved 31 October 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- भगवान बिरसा मुण्डा ने जनजातीय संस्कृति और देश की आजादी के लिए प्राणों की आहुति दी- मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान - November 25, 2020
- Why coronavirus rules should be about more than just stopping transmission - November 25, 2020
- AHA News: Teens’ Ultra-Processed Diet Puts Their Hearts at Risk - November 25, 2020
- HETERO Pool Campus Drive for BSc MPharm Freshers Production QC QA Departments on 30th Nov 2020 - November 25, 2020
- सभी पात्र आदिवासी बंधुओं को मिलेंगे काबिज भूमि के पट्टे - November 25, 2020
- Getting drugs to cancer patients - November 25, 2020
- Health Highlights, Nov. 25, 2020 - November 25, 2020
- धर्म स्वातंत्र्य विधेयक-2020 को अंतिम रूप दिया जा रहा है - November 25, 2020
- Health Tips Lose Weight With Eggs By Avoiding These 4 Mistakes - November 25, 2020
- New study explains important cause of fatal influenza - November 25, 2020