Iran on Sunday said it will restrict travel to the cities hit hardest by the novel coronavirus, state TV said, amid a record high of daily COVID-19 deaths.
The measure takes effect at Monday midday and will last until Friday, the broadcaster reported, citing an order by the interior ministry.
The restrictions prevent residents from leaving and non-residents from entering based on vehicle plate numbers, but do not apply to public transportation, it added.
It applies to the capitals of 25 provinces considered “red”—the highest level on Iran’s colour-coded risk scale—and includes the capital Tehran with more than 8 million residents.
Violators will be fined, the order added.
Limited restrictive measures were imposed on Saturday in those cities, forcing the closure of some public spaces and businesses.
Iran has been hit the worst by COVID-19 in the Middle East, and has recorded several daily fatality and infection highs in recent days.
Daily deaths reached a record 434 on Sunday, health ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said, adding that 7,719 more people tested positive for the virus in the past 24 hours.
In total, 35,298 people have died from coronavirus, according to official figures.
The rising toll has prompted several health experts and officials to call for a full lockdown in the capital.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
Iran imposes travel restrictions as virus deaths hit record (2020, November 1)
retrieved 1 November 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- श्री ललित सुरजन का निधन पत्रकारिता जगत की बड़ी क्षति - December 3, 2020
- हैरतअंगेज़ लेकिन सच: 27 साल पुराने भ्रूण से पैदा हुआ स्वस्थ बच्चा, विज्ञान की दुनिया में नया चमत्कार - December 3, 2020
- Total Hip Replacement Recovery & Surgery Complications - December 3, 2020
- Germany extends virus curbs to January 10: Merkel - December 3, 2020
- अपराधियों के विरूद्ध कार्यवाही में कोई कोताही नहीं बरतें - December 3, 2020
- Could Dirty Air Help Speed Alzheimer’s? - December 3, 2020
- San Francisco bans smoking inside apartments; pot smoking OK - December 3, 2020
- ERIS Lifesciences Ltd urgent requirements for Production QA QC department - December 3, 2020
- होम स्टे की बढ़ती माँग को देखते हुए पर्यटन विभाग द्वारा नवीन योजनाएँ लागू - December 3, 2020
- Covid-19 Vaccine: Why Is Pfizer Vaccine Getting Delayed In America? FDA Commissioner Defends - December 3, 2020