The Italian region of Lombardy, the first European epicentre of the coronavirus pandemic, has ordered all bars to shut at midnight from Saturday as it battles a second wave of the disease.
All amateur sporting events have also been put on hold in the wealthy northern region where the first cases of COVID-19 in Europe emerged in February.
Under the new restrictions that will stay in effect until November 6, bars will after 6 pm only be able to serve customers seated at tables, and the sale of takeaway alcohol is also banned after that time.
Lombardy, the most populous region of Italy, has also prohibited the consumption of food and drink in all public outside areas under the new rules.
Italy on Friday reported 10,000 new infections in 24 hours as cases surge despite government restrictions affecting daily life.
Lombardy, the hardest-hit area in Italy, is mostly targeting young people, with restrictions on sport, nightlife and education—it has now called for schools to alternate online and in-person lessons.
The latest order also bans visits to old people’s homes unless there is authorisation from medical officials there.
Italy’s second-worst affected region of Campania in the south has also introduced new measures, including the controversial closure of schools as well as bans on parties and funeral processions.
The government of Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte last week made the wearing of masks compulsory outdoors and extended a state of emergency until January 31.
According to the Italian press, Conte is also considering following France in imposing a nighttime curfew.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
Italy’s Lombardy region orders new anti-virus measures (2020, October 17)
retrieved 17 October 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Restrictions tightened, but no new virus lockdown in Belgium - October 23, 2020
- Unlicensed flu vaccine will not be available for use until December, MHRA says - October 23, 2020
- भारत में पहली बार हींग उगाने की कवायद हुई तेज, जानिए मसालों की शृखंला में क्यों है अहम - October 23, 2020
- What Is the Survival Rate of Retinoblastoma? - October 23, 2020
- Ind Swift Laboratories Ltd QA QC Production and Packing Formulation Jobs - October 23, 2020
- Second virus wave could be worst than first: France hospital boss - October 23, 2020
- World Sight Day 2020 - October 23, 2020
- Health Tips: These Drinks May Be Helpful For Excessive Weight, Know How To Prepare - October 23, 2020
- COVID-19 lockdown reduced mental health, sleep, exercise - October 23, 2020
- मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान ने दी अष्टमी और दशहरे की बधाई - October 23, 2020