Former Union Minister Jaswant Singh, who died in Delhi this morning, was cremated at his farm house in Rajasthan’s Jodhpur in the evening. Mr Singh, 82, died after a cardiac arrest at Delhi’s Army Hospital (Research & Referral), where he had been admitted in June.
Dozens of family members and close friends – wearing face masks and maintaining social distance amid the Covid pandemic – gathered to pay their last respects as Mr Singh’s son, Manvendra Singh, lit the funeral pyre while Vedic mantras were being chanted.
A wreath was also laid on behalf of the Indian Army.
A close aide of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, Jaswant Singh had a long and distinguished political career, serving as India’s Foreign, Defence and Finance ministers. He was also one of the country’s longest-serving parliamentarians.
Mr Singh, who studied at Mayo College in Ajmer, was also a officer in the Army in the 1950s and 60s; he resigned to pursue a career in politics.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has expressed his shock at Mr Singh’s death and said he had “served our nation diligently first as a soldier and later during his long association with politics”.
“Jaswant Singhjii served our nation diligently, first as a soldier and later during his long association with politics. During Atalji‘s government, he handled crucial portfolios and left a strong mark in the worlds of finance, defence and external affairs. Saddened by his demise,” the tweet read.
- Can Ulcerative Colitis Be Cured With Surgery? - October 22, 2020
- Germany reports record new virus cases in 24 hours - October 22, 2020
- Students Join Hands To Carry Former Teacher Across The Finish Line - October 22, 2020
- Introducing SpotOn Virtual Smart Fence – The First and Only Mobile Dog Containment and Tracking System - October 22, 2020
- Could Running Actually Be Good For Your Knees, What Do Researches Claim? - October 22, 2020
- How fear encourages physical distancing during pandemic - October 22, 2020
- Zebra Introduces Flagship MC9300 Mobile Computer Ideal for On-Demand Economy - October 22, 2020
- अगर आप कभी डायरिया से पीड़ित होते हैं, तो ऐसे में जानना चाहिए केले की क्या भूमिका होती है? - October 22, 2020
- Could reducing painful procedures help premature infants’ brains? - October 22, 2020
- Proper Pruning is All About the Right Tools - October 22, 2020