Gym-goers may get frustrated when they don’t see results from weightlifting right away, but their efforts are not in vain: the first few weeks of training strengthen the nervous system, not muscles. New research published in JNeurosci reveals how.
The brain orchestrates movement via two major neural highways descending to the spinal cord: the corticospinal tract (CST) and reticulospinal tract (RST). The CST is thought to be the dominant pathway, with the RST controlling posture. However, the CST does not change during strength training, so increased strength must stem from the more primitive RST.
Glover and Baker trained monkeys to pull a weighted handle using one arm, with the weight gradually increasing over twelve weeks. Each day, the scientists stimulated the motor cortex and the two motor tracts, measuring the resulting electrical activity in the arm muscles. Over the course of the training regimen, the electrical response from stimulating the cortex and RST increased—a sign of strengthened signaling.
After three more months of strength training, stimulating the RST elicited a greater response in the side of the spinal cord connected to the trained arm.
Outputs from the reticulospinal tract become more powerful during weight training and could be the driving force behind increases in strength.
Strength training benefits patients with cirrhosis
Cortical, Corticospinal and Reticulospinal Contributions to Strength Training, JNeurosci (2020). DOI: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.1923-19.2020
Lifting weights makes your nervous system stronger, too (2020, June 29)
retrieved 29 June 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- North America to Dominate Neurostimulation Devices Market - July 10, 2020
- YFLO Organized webinar on “Beauty Inside Out : the Ayurvedic Way” - July 10, 2020
- North America to Dominate Bio-Implants Market During Forecast Period - July 10, 2020
- ADIDAS AND MCDONALD’S LAUNCH THE “SAUCE PACK” - July 10, 2020
- Doctors View ‘Antiviral Agents’ As Effective Option for COVID-19 - July 9, 2020
- Mankind Pharma promotes ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ with new Anthem - July 9, 2020
- ŠKODA AUTO Volkswagen India provides its Mobile Health Clinic - July 8, 2020
- Innovation in Disinfectant Solutions, ‘Dry Fog C-Gate’ - July 8, 2020
- North America to Dominate Non Invasive Surgery Market - July 7, 2020
- नगरीय निकायों को सम्पत्ति कर का निर्धारण करने के निर्देश - July 5, 2020