“I’ve had patients coming in recently with stress-related hair loss, who tell me they were so worried about dying earlier this year or even that they had COVID-19. But they don’t see the effects until three months later,” said dermatologist Dr. Ohara Aivaz of Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles.
“It throws the patient off because the stress has resolved, and yet, the physical manifestation is happening now,” Aivaz said in a hospital news release.
Stress-related hair loss typically occurs three months or more after a stressful event. Why it takes that long isn’t clear, but the body may prematurely force hair into the dormant phase of its growth cycle, which eventually leads to the hair root shrinking and falling out, experts say.
If you do have hair loss, it’s a good idea to have a doctor check for a thyroid issue or anemia. If stress is the cause, hair loss supplements and time can help, according to Aivaz.
“If you remove the trigger and the stress level decreases, the majority of the time hair loss stops on its own, and the patient regrows the lost hair because their follicles are still active and healthy,” she said.
As the pandemic has progressed, Aivaz and other dermatologists have also had more patients seeking treatment for skin issues caused by increased hand-washing and stress.
In addition to hair loss, stress can trigger flares of acne, dandruff and eczema, particularly among older people who are more vulnerable to COVID-19 and may have been worried about their health and finances, Aivaz said.
For eczema, she recommends taking short, lukewarm showers of 10 minutes or less using fragrance-free soap in the areas most often affected (armpits, groin, feet). But don’t overdo it, she noted.
“When skin is really dry, even gentle soap can strip natural oils. Don’t wash something that’s not soiled,” Aivaz said. “Lather soap in your hands, and skip the washcloth, which also can strip your skin.”
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: November 2020
Further Support and Information on COVID-19
- ‘Molecular clock’ blood test could track spread of breast cancer - November 27, 2020
- Quepreon Biologicals Walkin 29th Nov to 2nd Dec 2020 Bsc MSc Bpharm - November 27, 2020
- समाधान योजना के प्रथम चरण में आये 16 हजार 500 आवेदन - November 27, 2020
- Senegal’s coronavirus success divides experts - November 27, 2020
- Topgallant Media Acknowledged and Felicitated the Winners of COVID Warriors Award 2020 - November 27, 2020
- Unwanted Antibiotic can Destroy the Health of a Body Builder: Dr. Anuj Chaudhary - November 27, 2020
- नवकरणीय ऊर्जा क्षेत्र में निवेश को बढ़ावा देकर हासिल करेंगे सर्वश्रेष्ठ परिणाम - November 27, 2020
- Covid-19 Vaccine: Hetero Signs Deal With Russia To Produce 100 Million Doses Of Sputnik V In India - November 27, 2020
- Former Berlin airport gets new life as vaccination centre - November 27, 2020
- Legrand India Wins 'The Most Innovative COVID-19 Response' Award at the IFCCI CSR Conclave and Awards 2020 - November 27, 2020