About 28 million people in England, more than half the population, are now living under tough restrictions imposed on Saturday as the country battles a surge in coronavirus cases.
The government of Prime Minister Boris Johnson has introduced a three-tier alert system to try to contain the disease, with some virus hotspots seeing bans on household mixing and the closure of pubs.
Britain is the hardest-hit country in Europe, with over 43,000 deaths from almost 700,000 cases.
The latest measures ban indoor gatherings of people from different households in the capital London and other parts of England.
Johnson has for now ruled out imposing a complete lockdown in a bid to stave off further damage to the economy, despite calls by his scientific advisers and the opposition Labour party.
Instead, the government is adopting localised measures to boost restrictions across England where meetings of more than six people are already forbidden and pubs and restaurants must close at 10:00 pm.
In Northern Ireland, pubs and restaurants closed Friday for a month, while school holidays were extended to two weeks.
In Wales, people coming from areas with a high prevalence of the virus elsewhere in the country have been banned from entering since Friday.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
Millions in England under new virus restrictions (2020, October 17)
retrieved 17 October 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Antivirals have little effect on mortality in patients hospitalised with COVID-19, suggest WHO trial interim results - October 19, 2020
- Newer Rheumatoid Arthritis Drug May Help Ease Tough-to-Treat Cases - October 19, 2020
- Garmin® introduces the Venu GPS smartwatch with stunning AMOLED display - October 19, 2020
- गृह मंत्री डॉ. मिश्रा और कृषि मंत्री श्री पटेल ने किया शोक व्यक्त - October 19, 2020
- Kim Sledge and the World We Want partner with WHO Foundation to re-record unity anthem “We Are Family” in response to COVID-19 and to focus on global public health needs - October 19, 2020
- These Foods Are Full Of Vitamin A, Add Them To Your Diet Soon - October 19, 2020
- Vitamin D Won’t Reduce Risk of Depression - October 19, 2020
- What will it take to make COVID-19 vaccines globally available? - October 19, 2020
- Aurore Life Sciences Walk In Interview 31st Oct to7th Nov for Production Chemist - October 19, 2020
- Garmin® introduces the latest vívomove® series with new advanced wellness features, connected GPS and Garmin Pay - October 19, 2020