Bhopal April 2019: On the 3rd day of ongoing Neuro-Oncology Conference – ISNOCON 2019 – experts discussed newly introduced techniques for the treatment of multidisciplinary Brain Tumors. Lectures and discussions were held on topics like Giant cell tumors (GCT) and Non-Seminomatous germ cell tumor (NSGCT). They also discussed treatment and clinical and surgical staging procedures.
Some of the other topics covered were treatment and precautions for non-germinomatous germ cell tumors and Contemporary Management of Intracranial GCTs towards ISNO Consensus Guidelines. Dr. Sona Pungavkar from Mumbai Dr. Chitra Sarkar from Delhi presented her study about Imaging of Intracranial GCTs and process to differentiate Germinomas from NGGCTs through Imaging.
Modern research on the genetics of tumor cells will bring better results in future
An interesting and emerging treatment option -Genetically modified virus-based therapy- was also presented and discussed in today’s Prof Yong-Kil Hong, Neurosurgeon and Scientist from South Korea explained that how a modified polio-vaccine could directly kill the tumor cells and also set up a secondary immune response which kills additional tumors cells in the periphery. He further stated that the process is in the clinical trial stage and results are very positive.
In addition to further progress on genetic research Dr. Ching C Lau from Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine, USA added his research work on Genetic profiling and its clinical implications. He said that by differentiating cancer affected cells and normal cells we can better target out treatment only on affected cells.
Another method discussed was Laser Interstitial Thermal Therapy. In this method, laser energy is delivered directly into the tumor by fine probes/needles to kill the tumor cells.
Dr. Nitin Garg, Neurosurgeon at Bansal Hospital and organizing committee secretary said that now experts, working in the field of brain tumor treatment and research, are focusing on targeted therapies. The tumors are analyzed to the molecular level and depending upon the tumor biology, treatment options are discussed and offered to the patients. During the conference, scientists are trying to better understand the tumor biology so that weak points of that tumor can be attacked with the least damage to the normal brain tissues.
- Decoding the heat stroke and cardiac arrest connect - April 22, 2019
- ब्रेकफास्ट को इग्नोर करने से आपको भी हो सकता है इस बात का खतरा - April 19, 2019
- Hospital acquired infections (hai) can be fatal - April 19, 2019
- Endress+Hauser India eyes growth in domestic sales - April 18, 2019
- Over 2000 took benefit of free medical camp organised by ‘Ekata Manch’ - April 17, 2019
- Palliative Care: Where treatments & compassion go together - April 17, 2019
- L V Prasad Eye Institute’s second edition of Whitathon to create awareness on Retinoblastoma eye cancer - April 17, 2019
- World Hemophilia Day: Urgent need to establish dedicated Centres for Hemophilia - April 17, 2019
- Nizams grandchildren donate Medical Devices & Surgical items to Nizamia - April 17, 2019
- लोगों को खुशहाल और अच्छा महसूस कराती है मुस्कुराहटः Research - April 16, 2019