WEDNESDAY, Oct. 28, 2020 (Healthday News) — Nearly 7 in 10 Americans are very anxious about the effect of climate change on the planet and more than half worry about its impact on their mental health, a new poll reveals.
The percentage of Americans who say climate change is probably or definitely affecting their mental health rose from 47% last year to 68% in 2020. And 73% say it is affecting health, up from 65% last year.
“These results are a wake-up call on how climate change not only hurts our environment but also negatively impacts our mental health,” said Dr. Jeffrey Geller, president of the American Psychiatric Association (APA), which sponsored the poll.
“Psychiatrists and other mental health professionals need to be aware that in addition to the many other concerns in our world today, the impacts of climate change are weighing on the minds of most Americans,” he added in an APA news release.
Younger adults are more concerned about the impact on their mental health than older adults: 67% of 18- to 23-year-olds and 63% of 24- to 39-year-olds said they were somewhat or very concerned. That compared to 58% of respondents between 40 and 55 years of age and 42% of 56- to 74-year-olds.
The concern cuts across all races and ethnic groups. Men and women held similar levels of concern.
“The science on climate change is settled, and now the public, outside those who’ve been directly impacted, is beginning to understand the impact it has on overall health and mental health,” said Dr. Saul Levin, the APA’s CEO and medical director. “Policymakers need to take this into consideration as they consider steps to alleviate the ongoing crisis.”
The findings are from a nationwide poll of 1,004 adults conducted Sept. 14-16 and a separate poll of 1,000 adults conducted in April 2019. The margin of error is plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: October 2020
- New research suggests immunity to COVID is better than we first thought - November 27, 2020
- मध्यप्रदेश कराधान अधिनियमों की पुरानी बकाया राशि का समाधान अध्यादेश 2020 - November 27, 2020
- What can you expect if you get a call from a COVID contact tracer? - November 27, 2020
- ई-नगरपालिका पोर्टल की समीक्षा के लिये समिति गठित - November 27, 2020
- Sweden expects to reach virus peak in mid-December - November 27, 2020
- प्रदेश में सुदृढ़ अधोसंरचना तैयार करना मूल लक्ष्य - November 27, 2020
- Job changes increasingly common among U.S. radiologists - November 27, 2020
- यूरोपीय छाया से मुक्त करती है नई शिक्षा नीति - November 27, 2020
- Big data powers design of ‘smart’ cell therapies for cancer - November 27, 2020
- Wood-Fired Cooking a Cause of Lung Illness in Developing World - November 27, 2020