Mothers with multiple children report more fragmented sleep than mothers of a single child, but the number of children in a family doesn’t seem to affect the quality of sleep for fathers, according to a study from McGill University.
A total of 111 parents (54 couples and 3 mothers of single-parent families) participated in the study published in the Journal of Sleep Research led by McGill doctoral student Samantha Kenny under the supervision of Marie-Hélène Pennestri, Assistant Professor in the Department of Educational and Counselling Psychology.
Participants’ sleep patterns were studied for two weeks. Mothers with one baby reported having less interrupted and better-quality sleep than mothers with more than one child, although the total amount of sleep did not differ depending on the number of children. No difference was noted in fathers.
“Experienced mothers perceived their sleep to be more fragmented than that of first-time mothers. Tension in the marital relationship may transpire if childcare is one-sided and not discussed collaboratively,” says Pennestri, who is also a researcher at the Hôpital en santé mentale Rivière-des-Prairies (CIUSSS-NIM).
According to the researchers, interventions developed by healthcare providers targeting an equal distribution of daytime and nighttime childcare tasks could be helpful. These interventions should be tailored to each family member, depending on their situation.
As next steps, the researchers aim to explain the differences between mothers and fathers, and determine why mothers with more than one child report worse sleep.
Parents shouldn’t worry about their baby’s inconsistent sleep patterns
Samantha Kenny et al, Mothers’ and fathers’ sleep: Is there a difference between first‐time and experienced parents of 6‐month‐olds?, Journal of Sleep Research (2020). DOI: 10.1111/jsr.13238
Mothers, but not fathers, with multiple children report more fragmented sleep (2021, January 12)
retrieved 12 January 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- मुख्यमंत्री श्री चौहान से मंत्री श्री भदौरिया की चाय पर चर्चा - January 25, 2021
- GACVS COVID-19 Vaccine Safety subcommittee meeting to review reports of deaths of very frail elderly individuals vaccinated with Pfizer BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine, BNT162b2 - January 25, 2021
- Health Tips Green Chili Side Effects Know Everything - January 25, 2021
- Mental health is important to overall health, and heart disease prevention and treatment - January 25, 2021
- Spice HealthCare Walk In 29th Jan 2021 for MD Microbiologist - January 25, 2021
- Alembic Pharmaceuticals Ltd PrePlanned Open Interview for Quality Control IPQA QA Production Departments on 31st Jan 2021 - January 25, 2021
- गोबर एवं पराली दोनों ही अत्यंत उपयोगी - January 25, 2021
- COVAX Announces new agreement, plans for first deliveries - January 25, 2021
- Health Tips Coffee Drinkers Should Be Careful Know Why - January 25, 2021
- Delaying the gap between COVID-19 vaccine doses - January 25, 2021