New Delhi: According to a new report focusing on infant deaths, approximately 3,500 babies in the US die each year due to sleep-related problems, including sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) and accidental suffocation.
On Tuesday, the report released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that while the US experienced a sharp decline in sleep-related deaths in the 1990s following the national “Back to Sleep” safe sleep campaign, the same decline has slowed since the late 1990s and the risk for babies persists.
“Unfortunately, too many babies in this country are lost to sleep-related deaths that might be prevented,” Xinhua quoted CDC Director Brenda Fitzgerald as saying.
Researchers at CDC examined the 2015 Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System data reported by mothers about unsafe sleep positioning, any bed sharing, and use of soft bedding from states with available data.
Placing the baby on his or her side or stomach to sleep are uncomfortable sleeping positions. Soft bedding includes pillows, blankets, bumper pads, stuffed toys, and sleep positioners.
They found that about one in five mothers reported placing their baby to sleep on their side or stomach, more than half of mothers reported any bed sharing with their baby, and two in five mothers (38.5 percent) reported using any soft bedding in the baby’s sleep area.
“We must do more to ensure every family knows the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations – babies should sleep on their backs, without any toys or soft bedding, and in their own crib,” Fitzgerald said.
“Parents are encouraged to share a room with the baby, but not the same bed. These strategies will help reduce the risk and protect our babies from harm,” she added.
- ‘DONATE A LIFE’ BRINGS SMILE ON FACES OF 114 CANCER STRICKEN CHILDREN - August 12, 2020
- Mankind Pharma and Daewoong Pharmaceutical Announce Initiation of Phase 1 Clinical Trial on a ‘Novel’ - August 12, 2020
- Sara celebrates her 25th birthday, social media is flooded with wishes - August 12, 2020
- The meeting will be held for the circulation of vaccine - August 12, 2020
- “America Mein Khila Kamal”: Indian-Americans Celebrate Kamala Harris’s Selection - August 12, 2020
- 3 Killed In Police Firing In Bengaluru Amid Violence Over Facebook Post - August 12, 2020
- Sanjay Dutt diagnosed with Stage 3 lung cancer, to fly to US for treatment - August 12, 2020
- Sun Pharma Urgent openings for Multiple Positions for Bsc Msc BPharm M Pharm ITI - August 11, 2020
- Text Neck – a common ailment among smartphone addicts - August 11, 2020
- Mask Wearing Reduces 60% Risk of COVID-19 Infection: Says Experts - August 11, 2020