New Delhi: According to a new report focusing on infant deaths, approximately 3,500 babies in the US die each year due to sleep-related problems, including sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) and accidental suffocation.
On Tuesday, the report released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that while the US experienced a sharp decline in sleep-related deaths in the 1990s following the national “Back to Sleep” safe sleep campaign, the same decline has slowed since the late 1990s and the risk for babies persists.
“Unfortunately, too many babies in this country are lost to sleep-related deaths that might be prevented,” Xinhua quoted CDC Director Brenda Fitzgerald as saying.
Researchers at CDC examined the 2015 Pregnancy Risk Assessment Monitoring System data reported by mothers about unsafe sleep positioning, any bed sharing, and use of soft bedding from states with available data.
Placing the baby on his or her side or stomach to sleep are uncomfortable sleeping positions. Soft bedding includes pillows, blankets, bumper pads, stuffed toys, and sleep positioners.
They found that about one in five mothers reported placing their baby to sleep on their side or stomach, more than half of mothers reported any bed sharing with their baby, and two in five mothers (38.5 percent) reported using any soft bedding in the baby’s sleep area.
“We must do more to ensure every family knows the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendations – babies should sleep on their backs, without any toys or soft bedding, and in their own crib,” Fitzgerald said.
“Parents are encouraged to share a room with the baby, but not the same bed. These strategies will help reduce the risk and protect our babies from harm,” she added.
- Business of Posture & Place - October 31, 2019
- Triple Patch Procedure saves life of 11-years old Nanded Boy who suffered from rare heart Disease – Suprovalvar Aortic Stenosis - June 19, 2019
- India Healthcare IT Market Outlook to 2023 - June 18, 2019
- 11% of Individuals suffer from Depression Disorder in Maharashtra - June 18, 2019
- Father’s Day: Helping fathers fight back pain - June 17, 2019
- Tips to survive the summers better by Mr Satkam Divya, CEO, KlinicApp - June 12, 2019
- बजाज फिनसर्व अपने #FitForLife अभियान के साथ स्वस्थ भारत की परिकल्पना को करेगा साकार - June 12, 2019
- India to give Cancer Treatment Technology to the West - June 8, 2019
- खाने के बर्तनों का साइज छोटा करके भी हो सकता है डाइट कंट्रोल : जानी-मानी डाइटिशियन स्नेहा परांजपे का सेमिनार - June 6, 2019
- Aster CMI Hospital showcases its commitment towards environment conservation - June 5, 2019