(HealthDay)—From 2010 to 2017, there were significant increases in the estimated rates of neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS) and maternal opioid-related diagnoses (MOD), according to a study published in the Jan. 12 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association.
Ashley H. Hirai, Ph.D., from the Department of Health and Human Services in Rockville, Maryland, and colleagues examined national and state variation in NAS and MOD rates in 2017 and described changes since 2010 using data from the 2010 to 2017 Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project National Inpatient Sample and State Inpatient Databases.
In the national sample, there were 751,037 birth hospitalizations and 748,239 delivery hospitalizations in 2017. In the discharge record, 5,375 newborns had NAS and 6,065 women had MOD. The researchers found that the estimated NAS rate increased significantly, from 4.0 to 7.3 per 1,000 birth hospitalizations from 2010 to 2017. The estimated MOD rate also increased significantly, from 3.5 to 8.2 per 1,000 hospitalizations. NAS rates varied from 1.3 per 1,000 birth hospitalizations in Nebraska to 53.5 in West Virginia, while MOD rates ranged from 1.7 in Nebraska to 47.3 in Vermont. For all states, there were significant increases noted in NAS and MOD rates from 2010 to 2017, except for Nebraska and Vermont, which only had increases in MOD.
“Between 2010 and 2017, 24 states saw increases of 100 percent or more for both indicators,” the authors write.
2010 to 2018 saw decrease in rate of death for people with HIV
Abstract/Full Text (subscription or payment may be required)
Copyright © 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Neonatal abstinence syndrome, maternal opioid-related diagnoses up (2021, January 13)
retrieved 13 January 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- श्रीराम मंदिर निर्माण के लिए परिवहन मंत्री श्री राजपूत ने 2 लाख 11 हजार की राशि भेंट की - January 23, 2021
- Avoid Eating Eggs And Chicken In Bird Flu, Do These Vegetarian Things Included In The Diet, You Will Get Rich Protein - January 23, 2021
- Cases of idiopathic intracranial hypertension on the rise in Wales - January 23, 2021
- Even When Cancer Is in Remission, Patients’ Risks of Severe COVID Rise - January 23, 2021
- अभी कोरोना गया नहीं है, निश्चिंत न हों - January 23, 2021
- Baba Ramdev Yog Yatra : प्राणायाम से नहीं होती है ये बीमारियां…पेट के लिए होता है फायदेमंद - January 23, 2021
- COVID-19 slows worldwide but surges in Latin America - January 23, 2021
- CDSA Government Job Opportunity MPharm MSc in Preterm Birth Program - January 23, 2021
- HYGRO Chemicals WalkIn Interviews for Freshers and Experienced in R and D Department on 23rd Jan 2021 - January 23, 2021
- Immune System May ‘Remember’ Infections From Previous Coronaviruses - January 23, 2021