New Delhi: A study conducted by the Arthritis Foundation of India (AFI) has found that more women report of osteoarthritis, a disease of joints, than men.
According to the study, the severity of arthritis is also much higher in females as compared with males. It found an alarmingly high incidence of arthritis around 26.5 per cent among younger people in their 30s.
“In all, 55 per cent of the patients (with osteoarthritis) were females, as compared to 45 per cent males,” said the AFI study conducted among 600 OPD patients in Doctor Hedgewar Aarogya Sansthan, Vir Savarkar Hospital, Jag Pravesh Chandra Hospital and R.K. Hospital here.
The AFI, Indian member of International Osteoporosis Foundation and the World Health Organization (WHO), conducted an epidemiological study on the situation of osteoarthritis in Delhi and found obesity and lack of awareness as a leading factor contributing to its prevalence.
The study said, “Obesity was a major contributing factor, with 53 per cent of the respondents found to be obese.”
Also, with the risk factors like hypertension, diabetes, thyroid and others, the progress of the diseases was much quicker in many cases within two years, it added.
The study also considered the socio-economic background of the patients and found that 70 per cent of the total participants (in the study) belonged to less than Rs 25,000 per month income group, while the remaining 30 per cent belonged to above Rs 25,000 a month bracket.
“The marginally high severe cases can be attributed to the lifestyle in lower socio-economic group like elevator-less multi-storied housing, Indian toilets and more of them sitting frequently on the floor, etc.”
In terms of the age bracket, 73.5 per cent patients, who attended the arthritis OPD for knee arthritis, were more than 40 years of age.
Dr Sushil Sharma, Senior Orthopedician and AFI Chairman said,”This study throws light on the prevalence of osteoarthritis in Delhi, and the general public’s response to the disease. Unfortunately, there is very little awareness among the masses, which is not a good sign and is preventing people from getting the right treatment at the right time.”
The study noted that progression of the disease could have been prevented and the suffering minimised to quite an extent had it been reported in the mild stage.
- ‘DONATE A LIFE’ BRINGS SMILE ON FACES OF 114 CANCER STRICKEN CHILDREN - August 12, 2020
- Mankind Pharma and Daewoong Pharmaceutical Announce Initiation of Phase 1 Clinical Trial on a ‘Novel’ - August 12, 2020
- Sara celebrates her 25th birthday, social media is flooded with wishes - August 12, 2020
- The meeting will be held for the circulation of vaccine - August 12, 2020
- “America Mein Khila Kamal”: Indian-Americans Celebrate Kamala Harris’s Selection - August 12, 2020
- 3 Killed In Police Firing In Bengaluru Amid Violence Over Facebook Post - August 12, 2020
- Sanjay Dutt diagnosed with Stage 3 lung cancer, to fly to US for treatment - August 12, 2020
- Sun Pharma Urgent openings for Multiple Positions for Bsc Msc BPharm M Pharm ITI - August 11, 2020
- Text Neck – a common ailment among smartphone addicts - August 11, 2020
- Mask Wearing Reduces 60% Risk of COVID-19 Infection: Says Experts - August 11, 2020