(HealthDay)—For patients with primary central nervous system lymphoma (PCNSL), the incidence of venous thromboembolism (VTE) and major bleeding is high, according to a study published in the November issue of Leukemia & Lymphoma.
Anjlee Mahajan, M.D., from the University of California Davis School of Medicine in Sacramento, and colleagues determined the cumulative incidence of VTE and major bleeding using California hospitalization data for 992 PCNSL patients using the California Cancer Registry (2005 to 2014).
The researchers found that the 12-month cumulative incidence of VTE and major bleeding was 13.6 and 12.4 percent, respectively. An increased risk for VTE was seen in association with chemotherapy and radiation therapy (hazard ratios, 2.41 and 1.56, respectively). The risk for major bleeding was increased in association with pulmonary embolism and proximal deep vein thrombosis, likely due to anticoagulation. Increased mortality was seen in association with pulmonary embolism and major bleeding (hazard ratios, 1.61 and 2.36, respectively).
“Development of a clinical prediction model for both VTE and major bleeding in patients with PCNSL may also help guide decisions on thromboprophylaxis which could mitigate the need for therapeutic anticoagulation in this high risk population,” the authors write.
Incidence of VTE, major bleeding high in primary CNS lymphoma
Abstract/Full Text (subscription or payment may be required)
Copyright © 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Rates of VTE, major bleeding high in primary CNS lymphoma (2020, November 20)
retrieved 21 November 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Senegal’s coronavirus success divides experts - November 27, 2020
- Topgallant Media Acknowledged and Felicitated the Winners of COVID Warriors Award 2020 - November 27, 2020
- Unwanted Antibiotic can Destroy the Health of a Body Builder: Dr. Anuj Chaudhary - November 27, 2020
- नवकरणीय ऊर्जा क्षेत्र में निवेश को बढ़ावा देकर हासिल करेंगे सर्वश्रेष्ठ परिणाम - November 27, 2020
- Covid-19 Vaccine: Hetero Signs Deal With Russia To Produce 100 Million Doses Of Sputnik V In India - November 27, 2020
- Former Berlin airport gets new life as vaccination centre - November 27, 2020
- Legrand India Wins 'The Most Innovative COVID-19 Response' Award at the IFCCI CSR Conclave and Awards 2020 - November 27, 2020
- UK asks regulator to study AstraZeneca vaccine - November 27, 2020
- Marine Bio Donates High-End Protective Masks to Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital - November 27, 2020
- Rakshit Pharmaceuticals Walkin 28th Nov QAD CQA and RA QCD Engineering - November 27, 2020