(HealthDay)—The risks for prematurity, small for gestational age, and cesarean section are increased in pregnancies among women with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), according to a study published in the November issue of Alimentary Pharmacology & Therapeutics.
Antoine Meyer, M.D., from the Assistance Publique-Hopitaux de Paris, and colleagues used data from the French national health system and compared pregnancy outcomes between IBD and non-IBD pregnancies (36,654 and 8,595,562, respectively) ending between April 1, 2010, and Dec. 31, 2018.
The researchers found that 75.6 percent of IBD pregnancies ended in live births and 0.4 percent ended in stillbirths. Compared with pregnancies in women without IBD, those in women with IBD more often resulted in preterm birth (adjusted odds ratio [aOR], 1.51), small for gestational age (aOR, 1.15), and cesarean section (aOR, 1.39). Compared with non-IBD pregnancies, active IBD before and during pregnancy was associated with marked increases in the rates of prematurity and small for gestational age. More stillbirths were seen in association with active IBD during pregnancy compared with non-IBD pregnancies (aOR, 1.43). During pregnancy, Crohn disease activity decreased, while there was no change in ulcerative colitis activity.
“In the era of biologics, pregnancies in women with IBD are associated with only moderately increased risks of prematurity, small for gestational age, and caesarean section,” the authors write. “Women with inactive IBD should be reassured when considering pregnancy.”
One author disclosed financial ties to the pharmaceutical industry.
Does inflammatory bowel disease carry certain risks during pregnancy?
Copyright © 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Risks for prematurity, SGA, cesarean up with IBD in pregnancy (2020, October 30)
retrieved 31 October 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- इन बीमारियों वाले मरीजों को कोविड होने का है ज्यादा खतरा, महामारी के दौर में रखें जानकारी - December 2, 2020
- Some Talc Products Contain Asbestos: Study - December 2, 2020
- New immunotherapeutic approach takes aim at cancer’s enzyme shield - December 2, 2020
- हृदय रोगी और उच्च रक्तचाप वाले धीरे-धीरे करें प्राणायाम | योग यात्रा Baba Ramdev के साथ - December 2, 2020
- Biophore India Openings for Experienced API Project Management Professionals - December 2, 2020
- Engaging family caregivers key to coordinated home health care - December 2, 2020
- Vamsi Pharma Pvt Ltd Multiple Vacancies in QC QA Departments Apply Now - December 2, 2020
- वायु प्रदूषण में खांसी को रोकने के लिए चंद भरोसेमंद नुस्खे, आपके लिए होंगे फायदेमंद - December 2, 2020
- How are older adults coping with the mental health effects of COVID-19? - December 2, 2020
- Skin Care: Get Glowing, Nourished And Brighter Skin With This Home Made Face Mask - December 2, 2020