The Swiss government said Wednesday it will deploy troops in cantons where under-pressure health services require support as coronavirus cases spike.
The Federal Council, the country’s highest executive authority, said it had “decided to support the public health sector by mobilising up to 2,500 troops as backup.”
It said authorities would consider requests from individual cantons as the virus’ second wave hits the country hard.
The army will notably assist hospitals in administering basic care and testing as Switzerland looks to ramp up capacity with some hospitals in worst-affected regions seeing intensive care facilities approaching saturation point.
The government said troops also may be deployed to assist with transport of infected people.
Authorities in the French-speaking Fribourg canton had Friday called for military assistance saying they could no longer cope with the skyrocketing number of cases.
Relative to neighbouring countries, Switzerland avoided the worst of the first wave but has seen 10,000 fresh cases and 72 deaths since Tuesday while the proportion of positive tests rose to one in four.
The country of 8.56 million has a death toll of some 2,500 to date for some 200,000 declared cases.
Virginie Masserey, head of vaccination strategies at the Swiss Federal Office of Public Health, warned intensive care facilities could reach saturation point as early as Sunday.
During the first wave, the army had helped deliver millions of sanitary masks to shops.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
Swiss drafts army as virus cases spike (2020, November 4)
retrieved 4 November 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Quepreon Biologicals Walkin 29th Nov to 2nd Dec 2020 Bsc MSc Bpharm - November 27, 2020
- समाधान योजना के प्रथम चरण में आये 16 हजार 500 आवेदन - November 27, 2020
- Senegal’s coronavirus success divides experts - November 27, 2020
- Topgallant Media Acknowledged and Felicitated the Winners of COVID Warriors Award 2020 - November 27, 2020
- Unwanted Antibiotic can Destroy the Health of a Body Builder: Dr. Anuj Chaudhary - November 27, 2020
- नवकरणीय ऊर्जा क्षेत्र में निवेश को बढ़ावा देकर हासिल करेंगे सर्वश्रेष्ठ परिणाम - November 27, 2020
- Covid-19 Vaccine: Hetero Signs Deal With Russia To Produce 100 Million Doses Of Sputnik V In India - November 27, 2020
- Former Berlin airport gets new life as vaccination centre - November 27, 2020
- Legrand India Wins 'The Most Innovative COVID-19 Response' Award at the IFCCI CSR Conclave and Awards 2020 - November 27, 2020
- UK asks regulator to study AstraZeneca vaccine - November 27, 2020