Turkey on Friday reported 141 new deaths from the coronavirus, the highest single toll since its first recorded death in March.
The previous record was set on April 19, when Turkey, a nation of 83 million, reported 127 deaths.
Ankara has now attributed 12,084 deaths to the virus, although its infection levels are unclear because officials now only report the number of people displaying COVID-19 symptoms, and not all those who test positive for the virus.
The grim milestone was reached on the eve of Turkey’s first weekend curfew since the pandemic’s first wave.
President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Tuesday announced a raft of new restrictions, including orders for people to be home by 8:00 pm on Saturdays and Sundays until the numbers subside.
Erodgan also switched schools to remote learning and required restaurants to provide takeout and delivery service only.
Older people and children are allowed outside at specific times of day, and stores and malls must close by 8:00 pm as well.
The World Health Organization has expressed praise for Turkey’s response to the health crisis.
Turkey has required people to wear masks on the streets across big cities since July and applied the measure nationally in September.
But the WHO has rapped officials for being vague about how they counts new infections.
Turkey now publishes the number of coronavirus “patients”, but never fully explained why—or exactly when—it made the switch,
It reported 5,103 new “patients” on Friday, bringing the total number to more than 435,000.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
Turkey records its highest virus death toll (2020, November 20)
retrieved 21 November 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- समाधान योजना के प्रथम चरण में आये 16 हजार 500 आवेदन - November 27, 2020
- Senegal’s coronavirus success divides experts - November 27, 2020
- Topgallant Media Acknowledged and Felicitated the Winners of COVID Warriors Award 2020 - November 27, 2020
- Unwanted Antibiotic can Destroy the Health of a Body Builder: Dr. Anuj Chaudhary - November 27, 2020
- नवकरणीय ऊर्जा क्षेत्र में निवेश को बढ़ावा देकर हासिल करेंगे सर्वश्रेष्ठ परिणाम - November 27, 2020
- Covid-19 Vaccine: Hetero Signs Deal With Russia To Produce 100 Million Doses Of Sputnik V In India - November 27, 2020
- Former Berlin airport gets new life as vaccination centre - November 27, 2020
- Legrand India Wins 'The Most Innovative COVID-19 Response' Award at the IFCCI CSR Conclave and Awards 2020 - November 27, 2020
- UK asks regulator to study AstraZeneca vaccine - November 27, 2020
- Marine Bio Donates High-End Protective Masks to Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital - November 27, 2020