Turkey recorded its highest daily number of new COVID-19 patients Saturday as the country’s first weekend curfew since June came into force.
The Health Ministry said 5,532 people with symptoms were diagnosed in 24 hours, some 400 more than were recorded on the previous record day in April. The Turkish government does not publicly report confirmed coronavirus cases involving people without COVID-19 symptoms, a policy that has been criticized for masking the true scope of the national outbreak.
“The number of our serious patients and our losses is also hurting,” Health Minister Fahrettin Koca tweeted.
The country’s total number of reported patients now stands at 440,805. Turkey on Saturday also reported 135 more deaths due to COVID-19, bringing its death toll since March to 12,219.
A curfew order took effect at 8 p.m. Saturday, a day after restaurants, cafes and other businesses were ordered to shut. The government lifted infection-prevention restrictions over the summer, but President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced new limits last week as the number of patients rose.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
Turkey reports record daily number of new COVID-19 patients (2020, November 22)
retrieved 22 November 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- 2 लाख 66 हजार मेट्रिक टन खरीफ उपज का उपार्जन - November 28, 2020
- Researchers provide novel insights into human skin aging - November 28, 2020
- Frozen Eggs Help Breast Cancer Survivors Conceive - November 28, 2020
- Cases have reduced, unnecessary curbs should not be imposed on marriage ceremonies - November 27, 2020
- Immune responses during embryo development could increase risk of schizophrenia - November 27, 2020
- Opioid Deaths in Young Americans Often Involve Other Drugs - November 27, 2020
- प्रकरण कम हैं, वैवाहिक आयोजनों पर न लगाए जाएं अनावश्यक प्रतिबंध - November 27, 2020
- Health Tips 5 Major Side Effects Of Oranges On Your Health Natural Glow Of Skin Whenever In Winter - November 27, 2020
- The key to normal sleep - November 27, 2020
- Aston University first in UK to subscribe to Pharmacy Knowledge - November 27, 2020