(HealthDay)—Actual COVID-19 infection rates in many areas of the United States are more than 10 times higher than reported rates, a U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study suggests.
That difference was highest in Missouri. As of April 26, about 2.6 percent of people (6,800) in the state were reported to have been infected, but CDC data show the actual number was about 24 times higher, at nearly 162,000, according to The New York Times. As of April 1, New York City had reported 53,800 cases, but the actual number of infections was 12 times higher, at nearly 642,000, the CDC study found.
“This study underscores that there are probably a lot of people infected without knowing it, likely because they have mild or asymptomatic infection,” study leader Fiona Havers, M.D., told The Times. “But those people could still spread it to others.”
Even in areas hard hit by COVID-19, most people have not been infected, noted Scott Hensley, Ph.D., a viral immunologist at the University of Pennsylvania who was not involved in the study. “Many of us are sitting ducks who are still susceptible to second waves,” he told The Times.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
The New York Times Article
Copyright © 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
U.S. COVID-19 rates much higher than reported (2020, June 29)
retrieved 29 June 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Doctors View ‘Antiviral Agents’ As Effective Option for COVID-19 - July 9, 2020
- Mankind Pharma promotes ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ with new Anthem - July 9, 2020
- ŠKODA AUTO Volkswagen India provides its Mobile Health Clinic - July 8, 2020
- Innovation in Disinfectant Solutions, ‘Dry Fog C-Gate’ - July 8, 2020
- North America to Dominate Non Invasive Surgery Market - July 7, 2020
- नगरीय निकायों को सम्पत्ति कर का निर्धारण करने के निर्देश - July 5, 2020
- कृषि मंत्री से मंत्री श्री प्रेम सिंह पटेल ने सौजन्य भेंट की - July 5, 2020
- Why some people don’t want to take a COVID-19 test - July 5, 2020
- प्रधानमंत्री ने भारतीय कृषि अनुसंधान परिषद की प्रगति की समीक्षा की - July 5, 2020
- वितरण कंपनी की प्रत्येक ऑपरेशनल इकाई को करना होगा बेहतर प्रदर्शन - July 4, 2020