The United States notched a record number of new coronavirus cases on Thursday, for the first time topping 90,000 diagnoses in 24 hours, according to a tally from Johns Hopkins University.
The country, which has seen a resurgence of its COVID-19 outbreak since mid-October, recorded 91,295 new cases in the 24 hours up to 8:30 pm Thursday (0030 GMT Friday), according to a real-time count by the Baltimore-based school.
The US has tallied 8.94 million cases of the coronavirus since the beginning of the pandemic, the most of any country in the world.
Within the same 24-hour period, 1,021 people died from COVID-19 in the US, bringing the country’s total to 228,625 fatalities. It is the highest recorded toll in the world.
The country’s previous record of daily cases was set on Saturday, with 88,973 new infections.
The virus is currently spreading most rampantly in the Midwest.
With five days to go until the election, Democrat Joe Biden has made Donald Trump’s handling of the health crisis his main attack point against the president.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2020 AFP
US tops 90,000 coronavirus cases in 24 hours for first time (2020, October 30)
retrieved 30 October 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- निर्माणाधीन सड़कों की गुणवत्ता की जाँच कराएँ - November 28, 2020
- ‘Turncoat’ macrophages in the tumor ‘micro-environment’ underlie breast cancer progression - November 28, 2020
- Women More Likely to Survive Lung Cancer After Surgery: Study - November 28, 2020
- 2 लाख 66 हजार मेट्रिक टन खरीफ उपज का उपार्जन - November 28, 2020
- Researchers provide novel insights into human skin aging - November 28, 2020
- Frozen Eggs Help Breast Cancer Survivors Conceive - November 28, 2020
- Cases have reduced, unnecessary curbs should not be imposed on marriage ceremonies - November 27, 2020
- Immune responses during embryo development could increase risk of schizophrenia - November 27, 2020
- Opioid Deaths in Young Americans Often Involve Other Drugs - November 27, 2020
- प्रकरण कम हैं, वैवाहिक आयोजनों पर न लगाए जाएं अनावश्यक प्रतिबंध - November 27, 2020