Geneva: The World Health Organisation (WHO) on Wednesday said it’s supporting Zambia in launching a vaccination campaign in the African country to help one million people against cholera.
The campaign was launched on Wednesday to vaccinate residents of Lusaka, the capital city of Zambia, against cholera.
Two million doses of oral cholera vaccine from the Gavi-funded global stockpile were delivered to the southern African country in January, enough to immunize one million people, Xinhua reported.
According to Zambia’s health authority, the campaign will bring the life-saving vaccine to the people who need it most.
Cholera is an acute diarrheal disease that can kill within hours if left untreated.
Since the start of the current outbreak in Zambia from early October 2017, the country’s health authority has reported a total of 2,672 cases, with Lusaka alone accounting for 2,558 cases. Of the 63 deaths countrywide, 58 were from Lusaka.
While sporadic cases of cholera are regular occurrences in Zambia during the five-month rainy season, the number of cases this year has exceeded the average annual caseload.
The WHO is currently working with the Zambia National Public Health Institute to address the underlying causes of the cholera outbreak, including clean water provision, sanitation and health education on personal hygiene.
The agency is also helping authorities to track down cases, treat cholera patients and provide community health education.
The WHO recommends that vaccination against cholera be considered in emergencies and other high-risk scenarios, as planning is underway to vaccinate a further one million people living in known cholera hotspots across the country later this year.
- Business of Posture & Place - October 31, 2019
- Triple Patch Procedure saves life of 11-years old Nanded Boy who suffered from rare heart Disease – Suprovalvar Aortic Stenosis - June 19, 2019
- India Healthcare IT Market Outlook to 2023 - June 18, 2019
- 11% of Individuals suffer from Depression Disorder in Maharashtra - June 18, 2019
- Father’s Day: Helping fathers fight back pain - June 17, 2019
- Tips to survive the summers better by Mr Satkam Divya, CEO, KlinicApp - June 12, 2019
- बजाज फिनसर्व अपने #FitForLife अभियान के साथ स्वस्थ भारत की परिकल्पना को करेगा साकार - June 12, 2019
- India to give Cancer Treatment Technology to the West - June 8, 2019
- खाने के बर्तनों का साइज छोटा करके भी हो सकता है डाइट कंट्रोल : जानी-मानी डाइटिशियन स्नेहा परांजपे का सेमिनार - June 6, 2019
- Aster CMI Hospital showcases its commitment towards environment conservation - June 5, 2019