Hyderabad, May , 2019 : Hypertension (high blood pressure) is the main reason for cardiovascular disease, chronic kidney disease, and stroke-paralysis in India. Hypertension is a serious threat to the public health. Unless aggressive national measures are taken urgently, India will remain in the “grip” of cardiovascular diseases (heart attack, heart failure). More and more people (including the young) are developing high blood pressure in our society. This is an extremely serious matter. The productivity of our country will take a nose dive unless we halt the epidemic of high blood pressure.
World Hypertension Day 2019 – May 17th
By any definition, 25 to 30% of adults in India have hypertension. And these people inevitably are destined to become sick. We must screen our citizens for hypertension with health check-ups. Those who have high blood pressure should be treated. No doubt about this.
Old Definition of high blood pressure = More than 140/90
New Definition of high blood pressure= More than 130/80.
Treatment objective = Bring the blood pressure to less than 130/80.
Various international guidelines have identified, Indians as a “high risk” population. Therefore, the new guidelines (to lower the blood pressure to less than 130/80) are most applicable to India. So, “Know your numbers”.
Dr. C. Venkata S. Ram
Hypertension Expert & Director,
Apollo Institute for Blood Pressure Management;
Apollo Blood Pressure Clinics.
Professor, Apollo Medical College, Director, World Hypertension League
(in partnership with WHO), South Asia Region, Hyderabad.
- Triple Patch Procedure saves life of 11-years old Nanded Boy who suffered from rare heart Disease – Suprovalvar Aortic Stenosis - June 19, 2019
- India Healthcare IT Market Outlook to 2023 - June 18, 2019
- 11% of Individuals suffer from Depression Disorder in Maharashtra - June 18, 2019
- Father’s Day: Helping fathers fight back pain - June 17, 2019
- Tips to survive the summers better by Mr Satkam Divya, CEO, KlinicApp - June 12, 2019
- बजाज फिनसर्व अपने #FitForLife अभियान के साथ स्वस्थ भारत की परिकल्पना को करेगा साकार - June 12, 2019
- India to give Cancer Treatment Technology to the West - June 8, 2019
- खाने के बर्तनों का साइज छोटा करके भी हो सकता है डाइट कंट्रोल : जानी-मानी डाइटिशियन स्नेहा परांजपे का सेमिनार - June 6, 2019
- Aster CMI Hospital showcases its commitment towards environment conservation - June 5, 2019
- Aster CMI Hospital gives new lease of life to an 8-year-old rural kid through affordable liver transplant initiative - June 3, 2019