Hyderabad, May , 2019 : Hypertension (high blood pressure) is the main reason for cardiovascular disease, chronic kidney disease, and stroke-paralysis in India. Hypertension is a serious threat to the public health. Unless aggressive national measures are taken urgently, India will remain in the “grip” of cardiovascular diseases (heart attack, heart failure). More and more people (including the young) are developing high blood pressure in our society. This is an extremely serious matter. The productivity of our country will take a nose dive unless we halt the epidemic of high blood pressure.
World Hypertension Day 2019 – May 17th
By any definition, 25 to 30% of adults in India have hypertension. And these people inevitably are destined to become sick. We must screen our citizens for hypertension with health check-ups. Those who have high blood pressure should be treated. No doubt about this.
Old Definition of high blood pressure = More than 140/90
New Definition of high blood pressure= More than 130/80.
Treatment objective = Bring the blood pressure to less than 130/80.
Various international guidelines have identified, Indians as a “high risk” population. Therefore, the new guidelines (to lower the blood pressure to less than 130/80) are most applicable to India. So, “Know your numbers”.
Dr. C. Venkata S. Ram
Hypertension Expert & Director,
Apollo Institute for Blood Pressure Management;
Apollo Blood Pressure Clinics.
Professor, Apollo Medical College, Director, World Hypertension League
(in partnership with WHO), South Asia Region, Hyderabad.
- Summer Care for Diabetes - May 22, 2019
- L V Prasad Eye Institute’s Whitathon Run raises awareness on Retinoblastoma eye cancer - May 20, 2019
- Dr. Pramod Tripathi kickstarts ‘Diabetes Free Mumbai’ movement’ with Devendra Fadnavis, Honourable CM of Maharashtra - May 20, 2019
- Organic Harvest Disrupts Indian Personal Care Industry with Blue Light Technology - May 20, 2019
- Living with a ‘Double-Heart’ - May 20, 2019
- Diabetic Retinopathy- Facts you should know - May 17, 2019
- World Hypertension Day 2019 – May 17th - May 17, 2019
- Association of Physicians of India MP celebrates “World Hypertension Day” - May 17, 2019
- HOW TO KEEP YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE UNDER CHECK - May 16, 2019
- BR Life Group of Hospital’s Announces Association with Art of Living Foundation to offer Holistic Medicare - May 14, 2019