If you ever have a conversation with your grand mother, she’ll tell you that back in the day they mostly relied on natural home remedies to treat almost every ailment. A lot may have changed now, but granny’s treasure trove of home remedies are still as effective as they used to be. Time to go back to your roots. Nature offers the best medicines for most ailments. Let’s look at few home remedies that can help some common problems that we may face.
1. Diarrhea: Boil brown or white rice in twice the amount of water you would normally use, then strain. Once the water is cool, drink it. This water contains electrolytes that helpease diarrhea.
2. Back Pain: White willow is considered as a natural alternative to Aspirin because it contains salicin, a pain reliving component.
3. Gout: Cherries contain compounds that block uric acid and calm inflammation. I advise people suffering from gout to eat a bowl of cherries daily.
4. Sty: Moisten black tea with warm or cold water, and apply on your eyelid. The tannic acid in tea will shrink swelling around the eye.
The tannic acid in tea will shrink swelling around the eye. Photo Credit: Istock.
5. Osteoarthritis: Studies show that curcumin found in turmeric is extremely effective to reduce joint pain and swelling in people with osteoarthritis
6. Hot flashes: Studies show that sage reduces the frequency of hot flashes. Make a tea of fresh or dried sage, strain cool and drink.
7. Muscle cramps: Athletes can prevent muscle cramps by drinking lime juice with black
salt as a electrolyte imbalance sparks muscle cramps, and the juice helps to restore sodium potassium with a boost of Vitamin C.
8. Gas:Fennel seeds contain a carminative compound that disperses gas from the intestinal tract. Chew and swallow half a tea spoon of seeds at the end of meals.
Fennel seeds contain a carminative compound that disperses gas.
9. Arthritis Pain: Natural gelatin found in chicken soup contains collagen that helps relieve joint pain and inflammation.
10. Dry eyes: Take 1 or 2 tea spoons of pure flax seeds oil each day. The anti-inflammatory properties of omega 3 fatty acids reduce the dryness of the eyes.
11 Acne: Apple cider vinegar works as an astringent to dry up excess oil. Use a ratio of 1 part of vinegar to 3 parts of water. Dip cotton ball into the mix and apply it to the blemish.
Apple cider vinegar is the new superfood.
12. Diabetes: Study shows that the gurmar plant possesses anti-diabetic and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also used to facilitate weight loss.
13. Asthma: Heat some sesame seed oil and gently massage it on the chest and upper back. Do it several times a day till symptoms subside.
14. Weak bones: Chia seeds contain 4 times more absorbable calcium than milk. Chia seeds are powerhouses of nutrients. Add them to smoothies, curd or dal for this boost.
15. Constipation: A tablespoon of flaxseeds (freshly ground) to be eaten at bed time with warm water helps relive constipation.
Have some flaxseeds with warm water to relieve constipation. Photo Credit: Istock.
16. Piles: The reason for piles is constipation and to treat that triphla should be taken in hot water at bed time to prevent constipation and piles.
17. Insomnia: Valerian root has been used for centuries for sleep disorders and anxiety. The root increases the GABA levels in the brain allowing users to sleep easily.
18. Common cold: For acute bronchitis a herb called echinacea enhances immune function and dries up mucus. It also reduces the duration and severity of the cold.
19.Dandruff: Lemon grass oil contains high levels of anti- microbial compounds called Geranol that fights fungus that causes dandruff. This magical treatment can be used just twice to see results.
The next time you need a cure for any of these ailments, turn to nature and try these home remedies. However, if you are suffering from a serious medical condition you must consult a doctor too.
- COVID case rates hit new high for England, study finds - April 7, 2022
- Govt’s focus on affordable healthcare ensured significant savings for poor, middle class: PM Modi - April 7, 2022
- SRL Diagnostics and Skye Air Mobility collaborate to transport pathology samples using drone logistics - April 6, 2022
- Healthineers sets up new production line of CT scanners in Bengaluru under PLI scheme - April 6, 2022
- Lupin inks licensing pact with Alvion to market drugs in Southeast Asia - April 6, 2022
- Yoga Mahotsav: Ayush Ministry to organise event to demonstrate common yoga on World Health Day - April 6, 2022
- LordsMed forays into the medtech space with launch of health ATMs ‘Lords Sehat’ - April 5, 2022
- ‘Friendly viruses’ can be the next big thing in the history of medical research and more - April 5, 2022
- No setback to Bharat Biotech even as WHO suspends Covaxin UN supply: Sources - April 4, 2022
- Govt panel recommends Serum’s Covovax dose for kids aged 12 and above - April 4, 2022