India recorded 36,604 new coronavirus cases in the past 24 hours, taking the total Covid caseload to nearly 95 lakh. The number of fresh infections is over 17% higher than Tuesday’s figure. Up to 501 deaths have been reported during this time, pushed India’s total fatality to 1,38,122. Over 89.32 lakh people have recovered since the beginning of the pandemic – over 43,000 since Tuesday alone.
The number of active cases now stands at 4,28,644, down nearly 7,000 since Tuesday, according to the data from the Union Health Ministry.
Maharashtra, India’s worst COVID-19-affected state, added 4,930 new cases, with the total number of infected people reaching 18,28,826. The state also reported 95 deaths, which took the fatality count to 47,246.
The major infected states were Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, and Delhi.
Union heath secretary Rajesh Bhushan has said the government had never spoken of inoculating the entire country when a coronavirus vaccine is approved. “I want to make it absolutely clear. I repeatedly say that before discussing the topics related to science, it would be good to know the factual information about it and then analyse it. So the vaccination of the whole country was never spoken of,” he said on Tuesday when asked by when the government would be able to vaccinate the whole country.
The Supreme Court on Tuesday weighed in on the local authorities’ practice of pasting cautioning posters outside the homes of COVID-19 patients. It said this leads to people being stigmatised and treated as “untouchables”. The Centre, however, informed the top court that the practice is aimed at protecting other people.
- COVID case rates hit new high for England, study finds - April 7, 2022
- Govt’s focus on affordable healthcare ensured significant savings for poor, middle class: PM Modi - April 7, 2022
- SRL Diagnostics and Skye Air Mobility collaborate to transport pathology samples using drone logistics - April 6, 2022
- Healthineers sets up new production line of CT scanners in Bengaluru under PLI scheme - April 6, 2022
- Lupin inks licensing pact with Alvion to market drugs in Southeast Asia - April 6, 2022
- Yoga Mahotsav: Ayush Ministry to organise event to demonstrate common yoga on World Health Day - April 6, 2022
- LordsMed forays into the medtech space with launch of health ATMs ‘Lords Sehat’ - April 5, 2022
- ‘Friendly viruses’ can be the next big thing in the history of medical research and more - April 5, 2022
- No setback to Bharat Biotech even as WHO suspends Covaxin UN supply: Sources - April 4, 2022
- Govt panel recommends Serum’s Covovax dose for kids aged 12 and above - April 4, 2022