Seventy-six Catholic nuns have tested positive for COVID-19 after an outbreak at a Franciscan convent in northwestern Germany, church authorities said Tuesday.
Another 85 nuns received negative test results at the monastery in Thuine, not far from the Dutch border, the convent’s Mother Superior told The Associated Press.
“We are grateful that so far nobody is in the hospital,” Sister Maria Cordis Reiker said.
Local health authorities put the the entire monastery under quarantine late last week after the first cases of coronavirus were discovered there. Most Catholic nuns in Germany are elderly women because convents have had difficulties for decades recruiting young women for their cause.
Reiker said they were still waiting for the test results of the 160 non-clerical employees of the monastery, including nurses working at the monastery’s old people’s home, and others working at the monastery’s kitchen and wash house.
The nuns also run a boys’ boarding school and several other schools including a vocational school.
“We don’t know how things will continue regarding our schools, it’s all still in flux,” she said.
She said local health and school officials were in touch with the schools.
Overall in Germany, 13,604 more people tested positive over the last 24 hours and 388 others died of COVID-19, the country’s national disease control center, the Robert Koch Institute, reported.
While the number of new virus cases among younger people is decreasing in Germany, it’s going up among older people, the institute said.
Virus cases reported at 41 schools in Germany’s capital
© 2020 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.
76 Franciscan nuns test positive at monastery in Germany (2020, December 1)
retrieved 1 December 2020
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- South African regulator rejects Russia’s COVID-19 vaccine - October 20, 2021
- Second wave of pandemic not receded yet, third wave feared post-Diwali: Maha health minister - October 20, 2021
- WHO chief discusses Covaxin, resumption of AstraZeneca vaccine supplies to COVAX facility with Health Minister Mandaviya - October 20, 2021
- Trivitron Healthcare in collaboration with Diagon- Vanguard Diagnostics launches Diagon’s Coagulation range in India - October 20, 2021
- Breast cancer early detection, screening, and management – what we need to know - October 20, 2021
- WHO’s technical advisory group to meet on Oct 26 to consider Covaxin - October 19, 2021
- 163 oxygen plants set up in MP after shortage during 2nd COVID-19 wave: CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan - October 19, 2021
- India’s R-value below 1 since September, researchers say - October 19, 2021
- Mumbai: Double vaccine jab not mandatory to enter theatres, colleges to reopen with 50% attendance - October 19, 2021
- Daily exercise routine, balanced diet, active lifestyle & quality sleep key to success in personal & professional lives: Experts - October 19, 2021