Fever and dry cough are common symptoms of COVID-19, along with shortness of breath and difficulty breathing, sore throat, diarrhea, fatigue, chills, muscle pain, loss of taste and smell, and body aches.
But it’s rare for fever or diarrhea to occur with a cold or seasonal allergies, according to Dr. Michael Benninger, chairman of the Head and Neck Institute at the Cleveland Clinic.
“It’s a matter of taking a logical approach to symptoms,” he said in a clinic news release.
If you don’t have a fever, difficulty breathing or diarrhea, then you probably have a cold or seasonal allergies.
We’re fully into the allergy season now, “so we know that it’s going to be very difficult for a lot of people at this time to distinguish between their allergies and whether or not they have something more significant,” Benninger said.
Sneezing often occurs with both allergies and a cold, but other symptoms can help you tell the difference between them.
“Usually a cold doesn’t have itchy eyes,” Benninger said. “If you have a cough, that’s more strongly associated with a common cold than allergies unless you have allergic asthma.”
Difficulty breathing and shortness of breath are symptoms associated with coronavirus, but can also be signs of asthma that can flare up during allergy season. If you don’t have a fever along with these symptoms, asthma could be the culprit, according to Benninger.
He said people with asthma need to stay on top of their treatment, especially since people with respiratory conditions are at risk of potentially severe illness from the new coronavirus.
© 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Posted: June 2020
- COVID case rates hit new high for England, study finds - April 7, 2022
- Govt’s focus on affordable healthcare ensured significant savings for poor, middle class: PM Modi - April 7, 2022
- SRL Diagnostics and Skye Air Mobility collaborate to transport pathology samples using drone logistics - April 6, 2022
- Healthineers sets up new production line of CT scanners in Bengaluru under PLI scheme - April 6, 2022
- Lupin inks licensing pact with Alvion to market drugs in Southeast Asia - April 6, 2022
- Yoga Mahotsav: Ayush Ministry to organise event to demonstrate common yoga on World Health Day - April 6, 2022
- LordsMed forays into the medtech space with launch of health ATMs ‘Lords Sehat’ - April 5, 2022
- ‘Friendly viruses’ can be the next big thing in the history of medical research and more - April 5, 2022
- No setback to Bharat Biotech even as WHO suspends Covaxin UN supply: Sources - April 4, 2022
- Govt panel recommends Serum’s Covovax dose for kids aged 12 and above - April 4, 2022