British pharmaceutical giant AstraZeneca on Monday said that following a trial, its diabetes drug Farxiga was not successful in treating COVID patients at risk of severe complications.
AstraZeneca, whose separate COVID vaccine rollout has been hampered by health concerns, said its trial “assessing the potential of Farxiga to treat patients hospitalised with COVID-19 who are at risk of developing serious complications… did not achieve statistical significance”.
The trial was carried out alongside Saint Luke’s Mid America Heart Institute and looked at potential complications including diabetes and heart failure.
“While the trial did not achieve statistical significance, the findings are very interesting and valuable, and will inform future clinical science,” Saint Luke’s cardiologist Mikhail Kosiborod said in a joint statement.
Public confidence in AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine has meanwhile been badly shaken by reports linking it to rare, but potentially fatal, blood clots, and by conflicting recommendations over its use.
Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak
© 2021 AFP
AstraZeneca suffers diabetes drug setback for COVID (2021, April 12)
retrieved 12 April 2021
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no
part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
- Essential Eye-Care Tips For A Safe Diwali - October 27, 2021
- Mansukh Mandaviya to hold meeting with state health ministers - October 27, 2021
- COVID-19: Kerala logs 7,163 new cases, 482 deaths - October 27, 2021
- Govt plans to invest Rs 100 cr per district to upgrade healthcare infra - October 27, 2021
- COVID-19: Active cases drop to 74,735 in Kerala - October 26, 2021
- Ayushman Bharat Health Infrastructure Mission: Everything you must know about ‘India’s largest health infra scheme’ - October 26, 2021
- Moderna to supply Africa with up to 110 million COVID doses - October 26, 2021
- India committed to supplying COVID-19 vaccines to other nations - October 25, 2021
- Mamata Banerjee asks people to wear mask to prevent spike in Covid cases - October 25, 2021
- Dengue cases in Delhi cross 1,000-mark; over 280 fresh cases in one week - October 25, 2021