Union health minister Mansukh Mandaviya released the first commercial batch of Covaxin in Ankleshwar on Sunday. The minister said India was running one of the largest vaccination programmes in the world due to the development of these indigenous vaccines. “The increase in the production capacity of Covid-19 vaccines would give further impetus to the pace of vaccination in India,” Mandaviya said. It was a matter of pride that the research and production of vaccines of two companies — Bharat Biotech and Zydus Cadila — took place in India, the minister said.
Krishna Ella, chairman & managing director, Bharat Biotech, said the company was marching towards the goal of annualised capacity of one billion doses. Bharat Biotech will be achieving one billion doses of annualised capacity across facilities in Hyderabad, Malur, Ankleshwar and Pune. Bharat Biotech was also exploring manufacturing partnerships with its partners in other countries for further augmentation. Suchitra Ella, joint managing director, Bharat Biotech, said efforts over the last one year had fructified and they were closer to achieving their goal of providing Covaxin to the country and overseas.
Chiron Behring Vaccines was acquired from Hoechst and is one of the largest manufacturers of rabies vaccines in the world. Bharat Biotech is now using the Chiron Behring filling facility for making Covaxin. Production trials began in early June. Under the National Covid-19 vaccination programme, launched on January 16 this year, 63.17 crore vaccines have been administered till Sunday afternoon.
- Molbio’s Nipah test kit gets DCGI approval - September 9, 2021
- 61 test negative for Nipah so far: Kerala Health Minister Veena George - September 9, 2021
- RT-PCR accounted for over 70 percent tests conducted in Delhi in last five months - September 9, 2021
- Punjab govt to open 300 new Opioid Assisted Treatment centres to tackle drug addiction - September 9, 2021
- Over five crore people vaccinated in Madhya Pradesh so far - September 9, 2021
- BMC issues new Ganpati festival norms – No pandal darshan, curbs on yatra participants across Mumbai - September 8, 2021
- Early screening & risk assessment through breakthrough technologies - September 8, 2021
- 30 test negative for Nipah so far: Kerala Health Minister Veena George - September 8, 2021
- 88 oxygen generation plants functional in MP, says CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan - September 8, 2021
- Efforts grow to stamp out use of parasite drug for COVID-19 - September 8, 2021